First time tank owner; looking for advice on how to flesh out this 18 month old 65 gallon to make it look nice

BRS

Thanos

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resized_20230513_201644.jpeg

Hey everyone, I set up this tank in late 2021 and after getting through a rough ugly stage and some newbie related mistakes, I've gotten the tank to a point where the fish and corals have been consistently thriving for a few months and so I'm looking at really stocking out the tank to make it look good. If some of the more experienced reef keepers could provide recommendations on what corals are best to add given my aquascape, and where they should go, I would appreciate it immensely. Flow is maintained with 2 Nero 3's and lighting is provided by a reef keeper photon v2. Since I'm still kind of new I would prefer staying away from the super hard stuff (acro, goni, ect), but just about everything else I wouldn't mind at least attempting if it looks like my tank can support it.

Nutramar Foods

fishski13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems like you have a lot of softies and they look great. I would suspect you have a little higher nutrients. I would maybe dabble into some easier lps. You can try a duncan, acans, candy cane coral, or maybe a hammer. They are all low to medium light corals and low to medium flow corals. They can be great additions for color and variety into your tank.

You could also try some rock flower anemones. They are super colorful, dont move around much, and are pretty easy to take care of.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
T

Thanos

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems like you have a lot of softies and they look great. I would suspect you have a little higher nutrients. I would maybe dabble into some easier lps. You can try a duncan, acans, candy cane coral, or maybe a hammer. They are all low to medium light corals and low to medium flow corals. They can be great additions for color and variety into your tank.

You could also try some rock flower anemones. They are super colorful, dont move around much, and are pretty easy to take care of.
I actually have a golden branching hammer (top left), and it's been doing really well. I was thinking maybe getting 2 more hammers to kind of have a mini-euphyllia garden in the top left. As for the other LPS corals, where exactly would they best be placed in a tank like this?

fishski13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a golden branching hammer (top left), and it's been doing really well. I was thinking maybe getting 2 more hammers to kind of have a mini-euphyllia garden in the top left. As for the other LPS corals, where exactly would they best be placed in a tank like this?
yeah you can definitely start a euphillia garden, just remember to keep it hammers, frogspawn, and octospawn. Torches will most likely kill those if placed together.

As for the other corals they usually go towards the bottom 2/3 of your scape where there is lower flow and lower light.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back