Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time with a medicated QT.

I picked up a Fox Face, Algae Blenny, Damsel, and Royal Gramma from a local aquarist last week and I'm putting the lot through QT in a 20 Long. The tank is using a dozen or so ceramic spheres for filtration and was cycled prior to introducing the fish. So far no ammonia issues.

Since there was no evidence of infection in the previous owners tank, I decided to wait to start the Copper until the fish became a bit more comfortable with the QT tank, and stopped hiding in the various PVC fittings scattered around the tank. When the Royal Gramma came out of hiding I noticed a good size gash on its side which I assume happened when it was captured in its previous tank.

So when I brought Copper Power up to 2.5ppm, I also decided to dose 15mg/gal of nitrofurazone powder to reduce the potential for infection. The fish have been in the mix of Copper Power and nitrofurazone for 2 full days now and seem to be doing fine.

So two questions:
1) is it normal for the water to be cloudy from the nitrofurazone? It almost looks like the powder has not fully dissolved.
2) should I plan on repeating the nitrofurazone treatment here a the 2 day mark? It appears that that for visible infection, redosing every 2 days with a 50% water change seems to be common practice.

Thanks!

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I picked up a Fox Face, Algae Blenny, Damsel, and Royal Gramma from a local aquarist last week and I'm putting the lot through QT in a 20 Long. The tank is using a dozen or so ceramic spheres for filtration and was cycled prior to introducing the fish. So far no ammonia issues.

Since there was no evidence of infection in the previous owners tank, I decided to wait to start the Copper until the fish became a bit more comfortable with the QT tank, and stopped hiding in the various PVC fittings scattered around the tank. When the Royal Gramma came out of hiding I noticed a good size gash on its side which I assume happened when it was captured in its previous tank.

So when I brought Copper Power up to 2.5ppm, I also decided to dose 15mg/gal of nitrofurazone powder to reduce the potential for infection. The fish have been in the mix of Copper Power and nitrofurazone for 2 full days now and seem to be doing fine.

So two questions:
1) is it normal for the water to be cloudy from the nitrofurazone? It almost looks like the powder has not fully dissolved.
2) should I plan on repeating the nitrofurazone treatment here a the 2 day mark? It appears that that for visible infection, redosing every 2 days with a 50% water change seems to be common practice.

Thanks!
I can’t answer #1, NFP always dissolves ok for me. #2 seems appropriate.
One question for you - do you think the NFP will cause issues with reading your ammonia test, I’m thinking added color, throwing your reading off.
Jay

OP
OP
S

scolson

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer #1, NFP always dissolves ok for me. #2 seems appropriate.
One question for you - do you think the NFP will cause issues with reading your ammonia test, I’m thinking added color, throwing your reading off.
Jay
Thank you! Excellent thought on the ammonia test, I have similar concern with the Hanna copper checker but it seems to be correcting for the initial color offset correctly.

I have not tested ammonia since adding the medication because there was no increase during the first week in the tank, but I do also have an ammonia badge on the tank as a backup.

AS

Hunchy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So two questions:

Thanks!
Hey what do you do for protective gear when using the nitrofurazone powder. Also do you just do your water change the clean off your hands or do you where long gloves and goggles to ensure you dont get it all over your skin or in your eyes. Im curiouse cause the safty sheet online seys not to let it contact your skin or eyes and the packaging warns of cancer.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Torch SALE
Back