Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running since Christmas. Corals look great, Sps including acros have taken off but montis have lost some color. Thats why i did a ICP test from ATI.

Here are the Results

1683294549178.png

1683294562355.png

1683294754222.png

Im guessing ICP results are trusted and more accurate than our home test kits, anyway i have a couple concerns where my tests have been way off. I use aqua forest magnesium test that has been reading 1400-1450, i use nyos nitrate test thats been reading between 5-10. These readings are still fine but i want to trust my test kits so i guess ill get the hanna nitrate.

As far as the trace elements, i plan to purchase atleast ATI iodine because it was the lowest reading, but i wanted to check here on r2r before i buy all of the trace elements. Is it worth it to purchase and dose all of these? do i dose them one after another on the same day?

Corals.com

PBar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I wouldn’t worry about the nitrate tests and it’s deviation. ICP machine doesn’t measure nitrates as well.
We’ve seen amazing tanks with nitrates everywhere… as long as is not zero (excluding Zeovit style) it is all fine.
I have here the Hanna Nitrate high range… and I like it.

Yet, most of the hobby tests kids have a non-negligible range of error. So just use them as reference or just see the results more as within ranges.

Trace elements? If you do regular water changes… maybe doesn’t worth the effort or the money for now.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I wouldn’t worry about the nitrate tests and it’s deviation. ICP machine doesn’t measure nitrates as well.
We’ve seen amazing tanks with nitrates everywhere… as long as is not zero (excluding Zeovit style) it is all fine.
I have here the Hanna Nitrate high range… and I like it.

Yet, most of the hobby tests kids have a non-negligible range of error. So just use them as reference or just see the results more as within ranges.

Trace elements? If you do regular water changes… maybe doesn’t worth the effort or the money for now.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the reply! I actually realized I had some lugols iodine on hand and dosed 4 drops in the last two days. Surprisingly I’ve seen great results as I have significantly better polyp extension from my montis and acros. I know it doesn’t make sense but I’ll take it! I also dosed potassium in the past two days so I don’t know if it’s one or the other or both. Just happy to see the tank looking better lol.

that makes me feel better about the nitrates tho so I’ll hang on to my test kits!

Top Shelf Aquatics

PBar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear!
just saw your tank and looks quite nice and promising!

Just don’t fall into the temptation of overdosing iodine and potassium… mostly because it is difficult to test them properly.

Best of luck!

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear!

Just don’t fall into the temptation of overdosing iodine and potassium… mostly because it is difficult to test them properly.

Best of luck!

The salifert potassium test is super easy. I dose potassium since all for reef doesn't contain it and my tank has a decent demand for it.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running since Christmas. Corals look great, Sps including acros have taken off but montis have lost some color. Thats why i did a ICP test from ATI.

Here are the Results

View attachment 3136337
View attachment 3136339
View attachment 3136343

Im guessing ICP results are trusted and more accurate than our home test kits, anyway i have a couple concerns where my tests have been way off. I use aqua forest magnesium test that has been reading 1400-1450, i use nyos nitrate test thats been reading between 5-10. These readings are still fine but i want to trust my test kits so i guess ill get the hanna nitrate.

As far as the trace elements, i plan to purchase atleast ATI iodine because it was the lowest reading, but i wanted to check here on r2r before i buy all of the trace elements. Is it worth it to purchase and dose all of these? do i dose them one after another on the same day?
Those results are fine.

If you're performing regular water changes there is no need to dose anything based on those results.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those results are fine.

If you're performing regular water changes there is no need to dose anything based on those results.
I’ve been doing weekly 10% water changes. I agree but I wanted to see the impact of getting iodine to recommended levels.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear!

Best of luck!
Thank you! Yea I agree, I think my plan will be get another icp test in a couple months and see where those levels are at then. Hopefully they don’t deplete to quickly because I’m not going to get frequent icp tests just for iodine and potassium lol

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back