+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

So I have just bought my first reefer tank (Red Sea Max Nano Peninsula Complete Reef System 26 gallon), I picked that one to save cost do to it having everything already in it. I got dry rock and live sand, with the cycling bacteria and such.

Do you recommend buying premade saltwater or making your own?

Starting tips?

Thank you!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
World Wide Corals

TarheelGrey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying vs Making is all dependent on your situation.
#1 In the long run, making will always be cheaper than buying. (You are paying profit to someone after all)
#2 If you are in an apartment, making and storing becomes harder, but not impossible. If you have a garage or room with your laundry, making/storing becomes easier. With a 26 Gal Nano, you will need alot of water at first, and for your first water change, but after that, you wont need much more than ~3gal a week depending on evaporation.

Everyone's situation is different. Just need to figure out the best for you.

Starting tips (Even if I am new my self)
#1 Educate yourself. There are tons of resources out there (Easiest probably YouTube) BulkReefSupply has a couple great beginner series on their channel.
#2 Be patient. Although a few things will happen quickly, the majority of things happen slowly.
#3 Be realistic with your expectations.
#4 Have Fun!

OP
OP
Blair

Blair

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying vs Making is all dependent on your situation.
#1 In the long run, making will always be cheaper than buying. (You are paying profit to someone after all)
#2 If you are in an apartment, making and storing becomes harder, but not impossible. If you have a garage or room with your laundry, making/storing becomes easier. With a 26 Gal Nano, you will need alot of water at first, and for your first water change, but after that, you wont need much more than ~3gal a week depending on evaporation.

Everyone's situation is different. Just need to figure out the best for you.

Starting tips (Even if I am new my self)
#1 Educate yourself. There are tons of resources out there (Easiest probably YouTube) BulkReefSupply has a couple great beginner series on their channel.
#2 Be patient. Although a few things will happen quickly, the majority of things happen slowly.
#3 Be realistic with your expectations.
#4 Have Fun!
Thanks for the advice! I got a cheap RODI and some IO salt, we shall see how that goes :3
I like building and improving everything so this should be fun lol. Im still improving my freshwater tank :p
I bought most of my supplies from BulkReefSupply and have been reading their stuff

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pacific East
Back