First Reef Tank was a Rehab/Rescue, have some questions???

BRS

ToSurfOrNot

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost 10 years of keeping freshwater tanks I have slowly been growing my knowledge via videos of the last year for reef tanks. I found a tank in which the owner had not been able to care for it since November for an amazing price with equipment working. It looked like just an explosion of nitrates and phosphates in the tank (of course after testing they were @ 1.0).

What is this:
This is the 45 Gallon AIO C vue from cobalt. He had 2 semi working mp10s and an oversized tunze 9004 comline that I sold and have ordered suitable replacements for the tank size.
-Heater backup installed as his is still working fine and seems in good condition.
-Kept his rock and couple soft corals an nems that were in the tank (see photos of what it looks like now).
-Currently only space for bio media are 2 small to medium sponges sitting at the intake.
-I plan on putting the new skimmer in and adding bio media to all the empty space in the slot.
-Has a UV light as well and an AI Prime.

What I did so far:
-Went to get the tank, kept 50% of his water, dumped his substrate in the trash and replaced with new live sand. Set it up in my office with new sand, and 50% new water.
-Threw away his 3-4 month old filter socks (have not replaced) as my local store says they are unnecessary with low bio loads, and even then a protein skimmer is better use of the space for higher bio loads.
-Purchased a load of bio media and added chemipure temporarily to get rid of some of the nutrients.
-Deep cleaned the tank before setup of all algae.

What I haven't done:
-I did not dip the rocks, see question section for I feel this was a mistake.
-It came with quite few bio media in the back of the AIO so I still need to grow some healthy bacteria on new ones as there is a ton of empty space back there right now.
-I was thinking of skipping a refugium although I do want a dragonet (hoping frozen food is fine). I don't plan on having algae problems with my livestock choices, equipment, and maintaining good cleaning schedule which I have always done for freshwater.
-No dosing yet, been working on maintaining salinity and reducing nutrients, this is the end of week #1

Questions:
What the heck is in the photo circled in red? There are many more things that I have no clue what they are?
It feels like there are far too many nems, I am not sure about this with the fact that I want this to be a heavy coral tank in the long run?
Are there any nems in here dangerous to other fish or coral?
Any other suggestions you might have?

thumbnail_EB297D65-7BBD-4E98-9C92-DA2A6EF33394.jpg thumbnail_DBB74EB6-3350-4CA7-A054-2561DAB6D44B.jpg

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Danroo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those rocks are a mess, I assume you start with things you don’t want in the tank, reduce the anemone for a start, and setup traps for hitchhikers after that manual removal of the gha.

OP
OP
T

ToSurfOrNot

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those rocks are a mess, I assume you start with things you don’t want in the tank, reduce the anemone for a start, and setup traps for hitchhikers after that manual removal of the gha.
Would it be best to buy new wet reef rock?

I don't mind all hitchhikers, but it is pest that I am concerned with and of course the algae on the rocks.

Nutramar Foods

Danroo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks are plenty it’s just a lot of work on cleaning them. If you’re going to replace every rock in the tank the anemones might not like it.

trapping hitchhikers would give you a good indication on what to keep and what to get rid off.

OP
OP
T

ToSurfOrNot

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks are plenty it’s just a lot of work on cleaning them. If you’re going to replace every rock in the tank the anemones might not like it.

trapping hitchhikers would give you a good indication on what to keep and what to get rid off.
And what is the best way to do this. I’m FW the only pest I really deal with are snails and occasionally worms.

Danroo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there was someone who 3d printed traps, like mouse traps for example to catch fireworms. ( bad hitchhikers ). The picture looks like that could be a brittle star which are harmless to corals and fish. Just need to keep an eye on those hitchhikers and keep your ears out for any clicking sounds in the tank. Not the glass rubbing one. Cause if it’s there that means you have a mantis shrimp in your tank, and that’s a huge problem, at least for me.

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back