Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost - the wealth of information on this site is absolutely amazing. The funny stories about "Evil murderous Clown Fish" and "Gobies who love to irritate you by spitting sand all over your rock work and corals" has shown me just how engaging and enjoyable this community is.

For just a bit back of back story, I mentioned that this will be my first reef tank, and that is true - but I do have some experience in the fresh water world as I have kept a planted tank (35 gallon AIO Red Sea Max 130d) for the last 2 years or so. With that said, my passion has always drawn me into the marine world, but due to the overall cost and just a general feeling that it was much more complicated, I didn't pursue it - until now.

I've been lurking around for a month or so, reading others build threads, and just generally trying to get a grasp on all the different science/best practices around keeping a healthy and successful reef tank.

My initial plan was to convert the 130d back to what it was designed for - an AIO reef tank, but that came along with some challenges, primarily that the original t5's were gutted to make room for an led fresh water light and the tank never came with the original skimmer. To achieve my goal of as successful reef - This meant some amount of investment into that tank that would likely just end up being scrapped and I am sure I could hack together some creative solutions to make the 130d work. The limitations such as Its small size, general lack of flexibility, I think, would just end up frustrating me.

So the "Go Big or Go Home" and "Buy Once, Cry Once" mentality that I have always had has ultimately lead me down a different path, and while I think I have most of the correct pieces picked out to achieve my goals, I am still not 100% certain on others.

So without any further ado - My goals.

Stability and Sustainability: While I understand that I am probably going to be this tanks worst enemy while I learn what to, and not to do, I don't want to worry about something stupid like equipment failure (within reason) killing thousands in live stock.

Flexibility: I am sure that my tastes in livestock and coral will change as I mature in this hobby. I want a tank that can handle the ebb and flow with me, meaning that I dont want to have to worry about not getting a fish (also within reason) because my tank isnt large enough. Likewise If I want to change from softies to LSP with some SPS, I dont want to have to completely gut my lighting and flow to support this.

Maintenance: I'm not lazy but I also don't have endless hours in a day to dedicate to this tank. Some level of automation or at least creature comforts around checking params, ATO, dosing and maybe even water changes would be nice.

Easy right? ;Happy

Current parts list to accomplish these goals.

Tank: Red Sea Reefer-S 850 (cant go with a 1000 due to the space its going in)
Reason: This system seems to be very well made with the marine aluminum cabinet, euro-bracing, low iron 19mm glass on all but the bottom, and pretty well designed split sump seem to check a lot of the boxes. Also the warranty of 5 years is nice, knowing that if something goes wrong im covered.

Display Lighting: 4 Ecotech XR 15's
Reason: Little up in the air here but I think that going with XR 15's will tide me over for awhile, knowing that my goal is LSP and maybe some SPS in the first year or two. I was also thinking about doing two of the Atlantik iCon by Orphek.

Fuge Lighting: Ai Prime - Kessil H160 or A360x (probably overkill)??

Flow: 2 Ecotech Mp40's (display)

Return Pump: 2 Ecotech Vectra L2's
Reason: I want redundancy (sort of) and these seem to have good reviews. I was planning on using one for the main return and the other for various items such as UV.

UV: 57w Aqua Ultraviolet
Reason: Shorter than the 40w. Outside of that having UV as needed would be nice.

Battery Backup: DIY or Ecotech???
Reason: Ideally I would prefer to install a Generac but that will have to wait a bit. Just need something to keep me going for a few hours incase of an outage. It doesnt happen often where I live and I can use a generator for longer outages.

Skimmer: NYOS 220
Reason: Even though the NYOS has an AC pump it seems to be very well regarded.

ATO: Tunze 3155 Osmolater & Litermeter paralytic pump combo into a 15 gallon reservoir.
Reason: Also seems well regarded and provides me with two layers of leak prevention (one on the tunze and one on the litermeter)

RODI: 7 stage BRS Pro Water Saver (overkill?)
Open to some suggestions here. My local water company doesn't use Chloramines so not sure if 7 stage is needed.

Mixing Station: Just gonna have one because I hate lugging jugs.
Probably 2 55 gallon graduated containers with a pump strong enough to get it upstairs. Im not looking for full automation here just something to make life easier.

QT: My 130D will live on to be a nice quarantine tank. ;)

Heating / Cooling: 2 500w titanium heaters (not sure about brand) as for cooling - do I need a chiller? I actually havnt looked much into this.

Parameters: Stumped ??

Here is my biggest question mark. There is so much hit or miss reviews on controllers that I am not sure what do to. I understand that learning this from the beginning is beneficial and not depending too much on tech is probably the right way to go from the start. With that said, something to help with dosing and at least getting notifications when something isnt going right is preferred.

For power this can probably easily be accomplished with smart plugs and my smart home stuff, but for other things like flow maybe something minimal? Open to some suggestions here.

- Dosing: Red Sea 4 ReefDose ??

More to come later....

If you made it this far thanks - I know that I left off things like substrate, aquascape and sump media as well as others that I cant think of right now. Im absolutely open to suggestions, your experiences etc..

Last edited:

PatW

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost - the wealth of information on this site is absolutely amazing. The funny stories about "Evil murderous Clown Fish" and "Gobies who love to irritate you buy spitting sand all over your rock work and corals" has shown me just how engaging and enjoyable this community is.

For just a bit back of back story, I mentioned that this will be my first reef tank, and that is true - but I do have some experience in the fresh water world as I have kept a planted tank (35 gallon AIO Red Sea Max 130d) for the last 2 years or so. With that said, my passion has always drawn me into the marine world, but due to the overall cost and just a general feeling that it was much more complicated, I didn't pursue it - until now.

I've been lurking around for a month or so, reading others build threads, and just generally trying to get a grasp on all the different science/best practices around keeping a healthy and successful reef tank.

My initial plan was to convert the 130d back to what it was designed for - an AIO reef tank, but that came along with some challenges, primarily that the original t5's were gutted to make room for an led fresh water light and the tank never came with the original skimmer. To achieve my goal of as successful reef - This meant some amount of investment into that tank that would likely just end up being scrapped and I am sure I could hack together some creative solutions to make the 130d work. The limitations such as Its small size, general lack of flexibility, I think, would just end up frustrating me.

So the "Go Big or Go Home" and "Buy Once, Cry Once" mentality that I have always had has ultimately lead me down a different path, and while I think I have most of the correct pieces picked out to achieve my goals, I am still not 100% certain on others.

So without any further ado - My goals.

Stability and Sustainability: While I understand that I am probably going to be this tanks worst enemy while I learn what to, and not to do, I don't want to worry about something stupid like equipment failure (within reason) killing thousands in live stock.

Flexibility: I am sure that my tastes in livestock and coral will change as I mature in this hobby. I want a tank that can handle the ebb and flow with me, meaning that I dont want to have to worry about not getting a fish (also within reason) because my tank isnt large enough. Likewise If I want to change from softies to LSP with some SPS, I dont want to have to completely gut my lighting and flow to support this.

Maintenance: I'm not lazy but I also don't have endless hours in a day to dedicate to this tank. Some level of automation or at least creature comforts around checking params, ATO, dosing and maybe even water changes would be nice.

Easy right? ;Happy

Current parts list to accomplish these goals.

Tank: Red Sea Reefer-S 850 (cant go with a 1000 due to the space its going in)
Reason: This system seems to be very well made with the marine aluminum cabinet, euro-bracing, low iron 19mm glass on all but the bottom, and pretty well designed split sump seem to check a lot of the boxes. Also the warranty of 5 years is nice, knowing that if something goes wrong im covered.

Display Lighting: 4 Ecotech XR 15's
Reason: Little up in the air here but I think that going with XR 15's will tide me over for awhile, knowing that my goal is LSP and maybe some SPS in the first year or two. I was also thinking about doing two of the Atlantik iCon by Orphek.

Fuge Lighting: Ai Prime - Kessil H160 or A360x (probably overkill)??

Flow: 2 Ecotech Mp40's (display)

Return Pump: 2 Ecotech Vectra L2's
Reason: I want redundancy (sort of) and these seem to have good reviews. I was planning on using one for the main return and the other for various items such as UV.

UV: 57w Aqua Ultraviolet
Reason: Shorter than the 40w. Outside of that having UV as needed would be nice.

Battery Backup: DIY or Ecotech???
Reason: Ideally I would prefer to install a Generac but that will have to wait a bit. Just need something to keep me going for a few hours incase of an outage. It doesnt happen often where I live and I can use a generator for longer outages.

Skimmer: NYOS 220
Reason: Even though the NYOS has an AC pump it seems to be very well regarded.

ATO: Tunze 3155 Osmolater & Litermeter paralytic pump combo into a 15 gallon reservoir.
Reason: Also seems well regarded and provides me with two layers of leak prevention (one on the tunze and one on the litermeter)

RODI: 7 stage BRS Pro Water Saver (overkill?)
Open to some suggestions here. My local water company doesn't use Chloramines so not sure if 7 stage is needed.

Mixing Station: Just gonna have one because I hate lugging jugs.
Probably 2 55 gallon graduated containers with a pump strong enough to get it upstairs. Im not looking for full automation here just something to make life easier.

QT: My 130D will live on to be a nice quarantine tank. ;)

Parameters: Stumped ??

Here is my biggest question mark. There is so much hit or miss reviews on controllers that I am not sure what do to. I understand that learning this from the beginning is beneficial and not depending too much on tech is probably the right way to go from the start. With that said, something to help with dosing and at least getting notifications when something isnt going right is preferred.

For power this can probably easily be accomplished with smart plugs and my smart home stuff, but for other things like flow maybe something minimal? Open to some suggestions here.

- Dosing: Red Sea 4 ReefDose ??

More to come later....

If you made it this far thanks - I know that I left off things like substrate, aquascape and sump media as well as others that I cant think of right now. Im absolutely open to suggestions, your experiences etc..

Red Sea Reefer is a 6’ tank. That gives you the ability to have small tangs. I would say you could have Ctenochaetus tangs or small Zebrasoma tangs.

The Ecotech lights are pretty much the top of the line in LED lights. I have Aquaillumination lights and their evenness of spread is not as good. But mine do grow acropora just fine. I find the suggested spread for your lights in 18“ X 18” so they might get a tad spotty depending on where your high demand corals are. If you add a couple more fixtures you would be really set. But 4 fixtures will probably work fine.

I have tried various lights for growing chaeto. I now use an AI prime and it works really well. I really like it. You should be good.

I have 4 ecotech MP40s in a 300 gallon 6’ tank and they work really nicely. I like quite a bit of flow and I find that everything does fine with about a 50 fold flow. I have toyed with the notion of adding a couple more in. They work really nicely by the way and are pretty bullet proof if not abused.

ATO - yours sounds fine. I use a dumb old Autotopoff.com system and it works just fine and it nearly stone age technology.

I am not familiar with the return pump but a pump is a pump is a pump. It is not really difficult.

UV - I am not really convinced that UV helps significantly. But it won’t hurt either.

Skimmer - I have a super reef octopus. But skimmers are not rocket science and I would think that pretty near all of them work fine.

Battery backup. I never really had this. I live in FL and I have lost power for days on end. I just use a battery powered air pump on a stone for aeration. It has always worked fine and I have never lost anything. You can backup just systems that you thing are essential.

I use a modified over the years BRS RODI system. It has a filter block, 2 carbon blocks, the RO filter, and 2 DI canisters in series (that way I can deplete one and use up my resin without ever having anything but 0 TDS water. I store RODI water in a brute trash can on casters and mix saltwater in another brute trash can on casters. I have a third brute that I use to siphon water out of my DT tank (on casters of course). Then I pump in the mixed salt water.

I use an APEX controller.

Parameters:

salinity 1.026 (1.025 is standard)
ALK - 8.0
Calcium - 450
Mg - 1300
Nitrates - 1 ppm
phosphates - often at 0. I dose phosphates and feed my tangs and they poop quite a bit so that gives my corals plenty to consume.

Test Kits -

ALK - Red Sea Pro, Salifert and/or Hanna. I test daily and a dose automatically and adjust with hand dosing, You really want stable ALK.
Calcium - Red Sea Pro - I measure once per week and dose up to 450. I am happy if it never gets below 400.
Mg - Salifert
Nitrate - Red Sea pro
Phosphate - Hanna ULR phosphorous (Hanna ULR is the only one that is sensitive enough).

OP
OP
S

swallace

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback @PatW. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on most of the stuff above today. As for the testing items - I already have the Hanna ULR and ALK testers. As for the other test items I will look at the RSP for Nitrate, right now I have the NYOS brand test. Either way - looking forward to a build thread and making this a reality.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest learning the quirks of reef tanks before fully automating everything. Things like controlling salinity, how the ions interact with alkalinity /mag calcium, etc. Coming from freshwater, it doesn't have to be complex, but there are definitely more things you need to keep an eye on and ensure they stay within the correct ranges. Rather than planning your desired parameters, I'd pick what livestock you'd like to keep and then let your system find its sweet spot. Some tanks, for example, can thrive on higher phosphates than recommended.

As for controllers, GHL, Neptune Apex and Coralvue Hydros are the big ones, and it kind of depends on how nitty gritty you want to get with them. The other thing is that while they can significantly reduce testing pain, they have their own set of maintenance like keeping reagents topped off.

OP
OP
S

swallace

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest learning the quirks of reef tanks before fully automating everything. Things like controlling salinity, how the ions interact with alkalinity /mag calcium, etc. Coming from freshwater, it doesn't have to be complex, but there are definitely more things you need to keep an eye on and ensure they stay within the correct ranges. Rather than planning your desired parameters, I'd pick what livestock you'd like to keep and then let your system find its sweet spot. Some tanks, for example, can thrive on higher phosphates than recommended.

As for controllers, GHL, Neptune Apex and Coralvue Hydros are the big ones, and it kind of depends on how nitty gritty you want to get with them. The other thing is that while they can significantly reduce testing pain, they have their own set of maintenance like keeping reagents topped off.
Yeah I pretty much decided to steer clear of any controller based automation at the moment. I very much agree with your first statement and am gonna follow that. The only thing that will be automated will be the ATO, outside of that I am gonna setup a mixing station to make water changes easy - this will also give me the runway to do AWC if I desire in the longer term. Thanks for the reply.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I pretty much decided to steer clear of any controller based automation at the moment. I very much agree with your first statement and am gonna follow that. The only thing that will be automated will be the ATO, outside of that I am gonna setup a mixing station to make water changes easy - this will also give me the runway to do AWC if I desire in the longer term. Thanks for the reply.
Oh yeah, an ATO is a non negotiable for sure. It sounds like an exciting build! Looking forward to seeing it. I think my next build will have an AWC also. And certainly 2 part dosing is worth automating and doesn’t need anything fancy.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back