First Build - Follow Along

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

The purpose of this post, and future posts, is both for newcomers and for my own selfish reasons. I’m going to be starting a 25G AIO and will note as much of the process as possible. I want to help create a standard guide for those with similar goals and hope in return to receive advice and assistance when issues arise.

I’m going to prepare as much as possible in advance, reducing room for error. Instead of using dry rock I plan on buying live rock from my LFS and will be buying premixed water from the same location. The idea is to maintain consistency. I understand this may not be possible for everyone and if it does not apply I apologize. Eventually I will transition to a RO/DI system but given my apartment setting that is not possible yet. To transport the water from LFS I will use four 7-gallon containers, doing 10% weekly water changes. After my initial setup I should get approximately 8 weeks worth of water changes per trip. I will test water once weekly or as issues arise.

Stocking will be light, with two clownfish to start. CUC undecided. Corals will be a mix between softies, zoas, and mushrooms, only easy and cheap varieties. I plan on creating the aquascape as follows.. I will have a large main rock, in peninsula fashion with two levels of height. The top level should not necessarily overhang or create much shadow. At the top will be high-light softies, with a Zoa garden on the lower level. I plan on having 2-3 islands as well, with either GSP or Mushrooms occupying the space.

I do not have any water perimeters or lighting readings. After purchase of equipment I will follow up on this post with the items purchased and initial readings. I plan on extending as much information as possible with weekly updates. More to follow!

9/9/2024

Tpowelltanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! I set up a 25 Gallon cube tank as my first saltwater tank about a month ago. So i am in the same beginner stage as well.

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Team! I have finalized the build.

Here is the tank from the primary side angle, this will receive the most looking. I can take more tomorrow. There’s too much reflection from the front. I will also start using a camera for better resolution once my light comes in, stay tuned.

I used half very-live rock with half pre- cycled rock. You can see the differences in the color, hopefully this helps cycle the tank. I bought regular sand, coarser grain, and only used one bag. All water was from LFS.

There is Aptasia as a hitchhiker.
1.027, I want to sit at 1.024 and starting high is OK
Will test alkalinity soon

IMG_4596.jpeg IMG_4600.jpeg

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve revised some of the aquascape. Here’s a some additional photos. I will try to add a video next. The sizing is too large, if anyone can help. Lmk

Attachments

• IMG_4607.jpeg
    IMG_4607.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4606.jpeg
    IMG_4606.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Aptasia seems to be the #1 concern. I am removing the infected life rock, submerging into a container with saltwater, then scrubbing the Aptasia with a toothbrush. I then rinse and return to tank. Any small holes will be filled with putty or super glue.

More to follow

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Aptasia seems to be the #1 concern. I am removing the infected life rock, submerging into a container with saltwater, then scrubbing the Aptasia with a toothbrush. I then rinse and return to tank. Any small holes will be filled with putty or super glue.

More to follow
I’ve resorted to poking it with a paper clip.

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Though I may have killed some colonies on the live rock, it seems the Aptasia is gone for now. Looking back I would not use tap water for any of these processes, which was simply a rookie mistake.

I hope the other well colonized live rock in my tank will do a good enough job. There are still filter feeders alive on the rinsed rock, so how bad can it be?

I got two clownfish, they seem well paired and are eating well.

I also hooked up an ATO ran to a 1 gallon bucket. I’d rather fill that up often instead of running the risk of an overflow.

More to follow in 2 weeks.

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added 5 red-leg hermit crabs and another liverock. The cycle is officially complete. All inverts are doing well, the Clownfish seem happy, and micro-algae is beginning to grow. I got a stomallea snail as a hitchhiker. I am very happy.

I am going to begin dosing after my vacation and will look to test Alk daily. I will do wider tests weekly to make any larger changes. I plan on only using AFR for the first 1-2 months, in low quantity, until I begin using multi-part dosing (if necessary). I want to reduce waterchanges.

My next purchase will be a Blenny. I have a lot of interesting rockwork with hide-outs. I think they would love my tank.

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After vacation I have found my coral to have moved ( I put it in a low light low flow area close to life)

And my goby is nowhere to be found. It did not jump, nor is it in the AIO. I only have 2 clowns, 5 small hermits, and a stomallea snail. I do not think it died and got cleaned up. I also dug into the sand and did not find it

Will check alk now and see where we stand. I went thru about 1.5 gallons of water in 5 days

And yea I could take a better photo, but I’m lazy

IMG_4675.jpeg

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After vacation I have found my coral to have moved ( I put it in a low light low flow area close to life)

And my goby is nowhere to be found. It did not jump, nor is it in the AIO. I only have 2 clowns, 5 small hermits, and a stomallea snail. I do not think it died and got cleaned up. I also dug into the sand and did not find it

Will check alk now and see where we stand. I went thru about 1.5 gallons of water in 5 days

And yea I could take a better photo, but I’m lazy

IMG_4675.jpeg
Alk 6.1
Calcium 400

5 days before was

Alk. 6.4
Calcium 400

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a hitchhiking gorilla crab killed my goby. It is ok, the gorilla crab is out of tank. I have been testing too low in alk and it shows in the coralline and mushroom coral. I am now going to dose AFR for 2 days at 5ml then 1 day at 10ml. I will then test to get daily dosing.

I have also added..
- 1 Halloween hermit
- 1 emerald crab
- 2 nassarius snails
- 1 reincarnated yellow clown goby
- 1 mushroom coral idk the name of
- 1 leather coral idk the name of

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back