Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming work doesn’t run too late, tomorrow will be starting day for my first tank.

Tank - Aquatop Recife eco 24g cube ready to go. It’s really quite nice looking, but I imagine the skimmer/light may need to be upgraded sooner than later

Location - I’ve already received comments about the tank being too close to my TV. I’m going to move it more to the left so it should be around 2 feet away. This seems fine to me, feel free to say otherwise.

My main concern with this spot is the sunlight from my living room sliding door, but I do have a blackout shade which stays down for the most part anyways.

Water - It will be a game time decision between heading down to Fort Lauderdale inlet or going to one of my LFS that has filtered ocean water… and the fritz-zyme turbo start 900 that I have in the fridge will be going in as well.

Rock/Aquascape - I was given probably 100 pounds of CaribSea and just messed around with designs for probably 3 hours. I think I have my final layout, but it is going to be a little bit tight. Based on my handy dandy cardboard replica, looks like I’ll be leaving roughly 2 inches around the edges at the widest parts, which is primarily on the back side. Pics are attached. As per the height, it’s about 12 inches tall on the top left. The return impeller is 13.5 inches up but on the top right, so I think this should work well.

Cycling - My main main uncertainty is regarding when to start feeding my bacteria colony, and whether dosing ammonia chloride or ghost feeding is better than the other. I am leaning towards ammonia chloride but I know there are old fashioned reefers that will say to do otherwise.

Misc. - I went to Lowes looking for a gfci power strip, ended up just getting a gfci outlet. The part I’m more excited about is the smart timer/outlet I got, which will effectively allow me to have lighting schedules via the integrated app. Hoping this works well, if not will swap out for something else.

Inhabitants - TBD mostly. I know for sure is the pair of clowns, and whatever softies catch my eye.

Will post some updates as I move along!

700169E5-A9F6-4C74-8D4B-C31944BD0A4C.jpeg
8E586F13-B321-45F4-8894-8F7D98E654F0.jpeg
930336D8-27E2-4342-A6BB-A89027A173E7.jpeg
BA3C6485-A541-4BCB-8608-7F607D4456D0.jpeg
5E19E287-61B1-413C-A1CD-5C981063622D.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

RandomReefer1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. I was cycled in around 2 weeks, I think less. Post cycle I started with a few crabs, gsp and zoa frags, which are doing well I think, and then last weekend got a six line wrasse. Im just starting to enter the brown ugly stage, nothing too bad yet and hoping to keep it under control. I think the biggest thing with this tank is figuring out what to replace/upgrade. The light/skimmer won’t cut it in the long run imo but it depends what you plan on stocking.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Alexwlwsn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking tank! I started my first reef tank this year and used an Aquatop 24g as well. If you're looking to upgrade the protein skimmer, I found that the IceCap K1 Neo (not the Nano which is more common) fits into the skimmer chamber in stock form. It's a little touchy to get adjusted but I've had great luck with it after it ran for a few weeks.

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking tank! I started my first reef tank this year and used an Aquatop 24g as well. If you're looking to upgrade the protein skimmer, I found that the IceCap K1 Neo (not the Nano which is more common) fits into the skimmer chamber in stock form. It's a little touchy to get adjusted but I've had great luck with it after it ran for a few weeks.
No wander mine does not fit, I got the nano, and ws like what the heck, How is the neo working out for you tank.

Alexwlwsn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wander mine does not fit, I got the nano, and ws like what the heck, How is the neo working out for you tank.

It's been working well! It definitely took a little while to dial in correctly since it has only height adjustment and no air adjustment, but I have no complaints currently. I haven't touched it within the last month or so and it's been consistently pulling out nice dark skimmate.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been working well! It definitely took a little while to dial in correctly since it has only height adjustment and no air adjustment, but I have no complaints currently. I haven't touched it within the last month or so and it's been consistently pulling out nice dark skimmate.
Nice, i just the neo today, so going to install it, tried to find install info nothing out there for it. So i had quess you raise or lower it to adjust the bubble height.

Alexwlwsn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, i just the neo today, so going to install it, tried to find install info nothing out there for it. So i had quess you raise or lower it to adjust the bubble height.

Correct, only adjustment is the height. I also had to have the pump facing a specific direction to allow it to fit tightly into the rear chamber.

One strange thing I've noticed is that the bubble height inside the skimmer changes A LOT. After I feed the fish, it'll bubble up to the top, but an hour later it'll be 2in below the bottom of the cup. It's strange but I've found a height that only requires me to empty it about weekly.

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice startup! You really dont need a skimmer on that system. Im a skimmer guy and do not run one on the exact same tank and my tank is all sps. I run a small basket in chamber one with floss for mechanical and a bag of carbon in chamber 2. The 3 baskets have eheim substrate pro in 2 and matrix in on. I did upgrade the return pump to a small Tunze. My Tunze ato keeps sg in check.
Here is the basket and my current system. Good luck and keep the pics comming.
20220110_170103.jpg

20220505_160330.jpg

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking.

Two Cardinals-- I guess that's what we call a "peaceful" tank! ;)
Maybe, lol. Their is also a six line in their. I have had good results with six lines and have one in all systems.

Avast

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CLICK TO VIEW

Machidalgo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice startup! You really dont need a skimmer on that system. Im a skimmer guy and do not run one on the exact same tank and my tank is all sps. I run a small basket in chamber one with floss for mechanical and a bag of carbon in chamber 2. The 3 baskets have eheim substrate pro in 2 and matrix in on. I did upgrade the return pump to a small Tunze. My Tunze ato keeps sg in check.
Here is the basket and my current system. Good luck and keep the pics comming.
View attachment 2675820
View attachment 2675821

Tank looks great! I've been looking into upgrading the pump as well but every pump I try is far louder than the stock one/too big for the space.

I've tried the SICCE 1.5 (just barely fit but was waaay too loud) & Jebao 1200. Which tunze model do you have and how's the noise?

Also, did you replace the plumbing with a bulkhead? I'm curious where you got that because mine leaks ever so slightly and I have no idea where to purchase the pipes etc. Still fairly new to this all.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back