Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a firefish (the only fish there) in my 55 gallon tank that has 40 lbs or rock. It spends the majority (90%) of its time in between the rocks and doesn't come out for feeding unless I leave the tank (I have a camera pointed at the tank so I know that he's coming out when I'm gone). It's been well over 2 weeks since I got him and he's still like this. I know that he's still eating hence why he's still alive, but is this normal? I heard that firefish like to swim around and be active. How do I get him to be less "shy"?

AS
OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picture of your tank? you likely don’t have enough cover for it to feel safe to come out.
20230129_143300.jpg

The firefish tends to hide on the left side of the rock only. I also just started adding a clove polyp coral (in the middle) and a hammer coral (on the left). What can I do to make my firefish be less shy?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2997342
The firefish tends to hide on the left side of the rock only. I also just started adding a clove polyp coral (in the middle) and a hammer coral (on the left). What can I do to make my firefish be less shy?
You can try adding more rock. Also what other fish do you have. If it's one of the only fish it may stay hiding. No other fish swimming must mean danger.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try adding more rock. Also what other fish do you have. If it's one of the only fish it may stay hiding. No other fish swimming must mean danger.
Yea, I was thinking about adding more so that might be the plan and yes, it's the only fish in the tank and I will be adding more very soon

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There just shy fish mine hides under rock constantly only come out when they think it’s safe
Do you know if they like high or low flow? I saw him once trying to swim up against the flow but it was too strong and I tend to see him go out when I turn off my powerhead. However, the flow in my tank isnt even that high because this is the flow on my hammer coral (video). So I dont think the flow in my tank is strong (because of how I see the flow on my hammer coral), but I think it might be too strong for my firefish. What should I do?

Avast

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, does he stay there all the time? How about during feeding?
Has for about 6 months... lol
I think my dragon of a maroon dot clown banished it from her lair, but regardless, I was SHOCKED to find it back there after about 2 months of thinking it was dead!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know if they like high or low flow? I saw him once trying to swim up against the flow but it was too strong and I tend to see him go out when I turn off my powerhead. However, the flow in my tank isnt even that high because this is the flow on my hammer coral (video). So I dont think the flow in my tank is strong (because of how I see the flow on my hammer coral), but I think it might be too strong for my firefish. What should I do?
View attachment 2997381
My tank is a high flow tank I believe high flow is fine and they handle it perfectly okay it’s just what it is if I move just a little to fast outside the glass bam under rock it’s just them

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I was thinking about adding more so that might be the plan and yes, it's the only fish in the tank and I will be adding more very soon
I would it will help the firefish be more comfortable

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back