Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies in advance, because I know this question gets asked a million times. I've been setting a trap for bristle worms after noticing my yellow watchman goby had some bristles coming out of him. Here's a picture of what I've trapped. Based on what I've read, it's leading me to believe these are actually fire worms based on how thick they are. The smallest one in the picture is probably 2 inches long, the other two big ones are more like six inches. Thoughts?
IMG_0708.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Apologies in advance, because I know this question gets asked a million times. I've been setting a trap for bristle worms after noticing my yellow watchman goby had some bristles coming out of him. Here's a picture of what I've trapped. Based on what I've read, it's leading me to believe these are actually fire worms based on how thick they are. The smallest one in the picture is probably 2 inches long, the other two big ones are more like six inches. Thoughts?View attachment 3117241
Brighter lighting would help with identity but may be fireworm

OP
OP
R

richardbflo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which bristle worms these are, but no red tuffs. So, they can't be fireworms. Unless you can see the red tuffs. They are not visible in the photo provided.

Did you catch them harming coral? Or just a trap?
I caught them using a trap. I haven't seen them out during the day time, only in the evening and they quickly hide if I shine a light at them. Feeling much more relief to think they are not possibly fire worms.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies in advance, because I know this question gets asked a million times. I've been setting a trap for bristle worms after noticing my yellow watchman goby had some bristles coming out of him. Here's a picture of what I've trapped. Based on what I've read, it's leading me to believe these are actually fire worms based on how thick they are. The smallest one in the picture is probably 2 inches long, the other two big ones are more like six inches. Thoughts?View attachment 3117241
Fire worm for sure.

Avast
AquaCave Logo Banner

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to tell if it’s a bearded fireworm is to look at its head. If it’s a bearded fireworm it will have a noticeable red feathery thing (caruncle) on its head. It’s such a defining characteristic that the scientific name of the worm has it in the name (Hermodice carunculata).

I can’t clearly see a head in the picture but if I had to guess from those pictures I’d guess big regular bristleworms. I regularly get them that size in my refugium where they have no predators to eat them.

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire worm for sure.
the worms in that article do not share an appearance of the op's picture. And are from Hawaii. Also, there are small red tuffs on the body which are difficult to see due to photo size and quality. I outlined the red tuffs for you.
k044x7.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back