+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

I am setting up a new tank (first in a good few years - 135g dt, 40g sump) and would like to know your thoughts on weirs. So the tank I have now is a Herbie style with a lower standpipe as the main drain (raised to about about 10 inches above the bottom of the tank) and a durso style as the emergency relief (about 1 inch below the Weir's comb).

Previously I would have packed my weir with different filter media as there was no standpipe and the water would just drain straight into the sump from a single pipe through the bottom of the weir via a bulkhead fitting.

Is there any point in putting media into the weir these days? And if I do, should I raise the media to be above the standpipe?

I'm thinking about dumping in ceramic rings, bio balls etc - just to provide extra media for bacteria but also in the weir that would be a great place for pods and brittle starts to grow. The minus is I don't know how much detritus usually sinks to the bottom of a Herbie style weir...

Thanks in advance!

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I probably wouldn't in order to maximize circulation and flow in the weir and prevent any detritus (etc.) buildup as you pointed out. If you have a 40 gallon sump you have more than enough room to place any ceramic media in there (I have a pair of 8x4x4 MarinePure bio blocks, 2 boxes of 1.5" bio spheres and 4 boxes of 0.5" hex media.

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're better off adding any media to your sump. no real benefit to adding anything do your overflow and you're only adding potential blockage to your drain.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JBJAquarium.com
Back