Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm converting an old fresh water 10 gallon aquarium into a reef tank, and i'm wondering on the necessity of having a filter on it. I have a hob aquatech 5-15 gal filter. but i'm thinking of potentially removing it all together and using a powerhead like the hydror koralia nano 240 instead as that would allow me to control where the flow goes and build the scape i want (i can't do that with the hob filter cause my aquarium's lid only allows for it to be attached to the back of the aquarium). would that be ok (not having a filter). from my understanding right now the biological filtration would come from the substrate and the live rock as well as the soft coral in my aquarium (xenia and mushrooms). would that provide enough filtration for keeping inverts like sexy shrimp and boxer crabs? Also any recommendation for a low flow power head woulf be appreciated.

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm converting an old fresh water 10 gallon aquarium into a reef tank, and i'm wondering on the necessity of having a filter on it. I have a hob aquatech 5-15 gal filter. but i'm thinking of potentially removing it all together and using a powerhead like the hydror koralia nano 240 instead as that would allow me to control where the flow goes and build the scape i want (i can't do that with the hob filter cause my aquarium's lid only allows for it to be attached to the back of the aquarium). would that be ok (not having a filter). from my understanding right now the biological filtration would come from the substrate and the live rock as well as the soft coral in my aquarium (xenia and mushrooms). would that provide enough filtration for keeping inverts like sexy shrimp and boxer crabs? Also any recommendation for a low flow power head woulf be appreciated.
If there is some sand and rock, I would feel comfortable removing the hob filter.

Sorry, I don’t know of any powerheads for tanks that small but I’m guessing they exist. I would look at mp10’s but guessing they might be overkill.

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree would be fine to remove the hob filter. I have one on my 15 gallon softie tank, just to run carbon to help with the leather toxins. But if you have no need for carbon or chemiclean or anything else, then it doesn't matter much.

I have a sicce nano and a aqamai kps in my 15 gallon, for a 10 gallon might need only one. They are both good, but the aqamai is controllable.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back