Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have recently set up a newer IM nuvo fusion 2.0 14 gallon tank and I am having troubles with the AIO filtration. It seems that at random the flow going to my pump is decreased, causing the water level in the 3rd chamber to lower, falsely triggering my ATO to go off, which then raises my display water level and lowers my salinity pretty drastically. I am not sure of the cause, but my best guess is the filter floss I use in the media basket is getting slightly clogged at times.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one with this problem, curious if there are any recommendations for filtration where I can avoid this issue completely. Unfortunately this has caused my frogspawn to pass. I have many 2-3 day stretches where I will be away from my tank where I wont be able to react as fast, so I am looking for a more permanent solution.

Thanks for your help!

Corals.com

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if one of these will fit your glass, they use Evian water bottles, I use one on my 7 gallon tank, it you will be gone for a while get two etc.

WuyouChy Aquarium ATO System Fish Tank Water Level Controller Automatic Top Off Water Filler with Adapter
Ice Cap now makes a version, it is more expensive, but comes in black and includes a bottle, FYI

Is it your filter foam/sock clogging/partially clogging?

I am not super familiar with that specific AIO tank, but if the mechanical filtration is in the first chamber (or before the ATO sensor), the decline in flow as particles build up on the filtration will drop the water level in subsequent chambers, thus triggering the ATO.

That is my guess.

BRS
OP
OP
gwick16

gwick16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice Cap now makes a version, it is more expensive, but comes in black and includes a bottle, FYI

Is it your filter foam/sock clogging/partially clogging?

I am not super familiar with that specific AIO tank, but if the mechanical filtration is in the first chamber (or before the ATO sensor), the decline in flow as particles build up on the filtration will drop the water level in subsequent chambers, thus triggering the ATO.

That is my guess.
The first chamber comes with an IM media basket similar to the intank one. In the first stage is a single layer of filter floss, the second stage is chemipure blue and the 3rd is empty. I feel like you are right with the particles causing a decline in flow, I’m just not really sure how to work around this.

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first chamber comes with an IM media basket similar to the intank one. In the first stage is a single layer of filter floss, the second stage is chemipure blue and the 3rd is empty. I feel like you are right with the particles causing a decline in flow, I’m just not really sure how to work around this.
Could use less fine mechanical filtration or clean/replace the mechanical filtration more often.

Hard to visualize without actually seeing the tank/chamber, but could possibly put the sensor elsewhere.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
gwick16

gwick16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

V A R I A N T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either the floss (and other media) in the caddy is restricting flow, or there is a blockage on the weir (snails?), or the pump is sporadically pushing more water. It is likely number 1. Floss and quilt batting can get dirty quickly, requiring a change every 3 days. Regarding your ato sensor, how far is it from the top of chamber 3? High enough to quiet the water flow, or significantly lower? Pics help

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a common problem for me in my Evo while battling GHA, which would come loose and clog the floss, lowering the return chamber and activatong the ATO. One reason I prefer the bottle ATO--only so much damage it can cause.

You could pack the floss less tightly so that water can flow through more easily when clogged. Somewhat less effective filtration, but less risk of a mini crash. Add some filter feeders to catch more stuff in circulation :)

If you get fancy with control systems, I think you can program the ATO to turn off and send you an alert if it keeps going nonstop. I always know when a Trochus is crossing my overflow grates, because the bottle starts activating over and over again...

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
gwick16

gwick16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed when trochus snails cross the overflow the ATO triggers, but this doesn't seem to last for too long causing the tank to flood. I thought about maybe putting an outlet timer on my ATO, let it turn on a couple of times a day. I think this may work. Any thoughts?

AquaCave Logo Banner

BaliReefBox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reduce the thickness/layers of your floss and change it more often and put your ato pump on a timer that only activates 3-4 times a day for a minute... this will alleviate the snail issue and be a good safety for the ato

OP
OP
gwick16

gwick16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reduce the thickness/layers of your floss and change it more often and put your ato pump on a timer that only activates 3-4 times a day for a minute... this will alleviate the snail issue and be a good safety for the ato
I think this will be a great solution, +/- the snail guard. Thanks you!

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back