Filter socks

Gellisjr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been cleaning my filter socks by hand. I have just been rinsing them in the sink and using the spray nozzle on the sink to blast them. They do come clean but I am wondering if there is a better way. I don't want to put them in the washing machine do to ant left over detergents in the washer.i have three socks that I have been rotating out.

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 filter socks and after each week I take the old one and dump it inside a bucket with a lid.

When I have 7 inside, I add about 3/4 full of water then I eyeball the amount of bleach I add but it's about 1/4 cup.

I leave it soak overnight then I throw them inside the washer on this cycle.

Heavy duty, cold, extra rinse

Then I leave them to dry for a week until next waterchange.

They don't smell and they look pristine.

Upvote 0

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have 8 filter socks and after each week I take the old one and dump it inside a bucket with a lid.

When I have 7 inside, I add about 3/4 full of water then I eyeball the amount of bleach I add but it's about 1/4 cup.

I leave it soak overnight then I throw them inside the washer on this cycle.

Heavy duty, cold, extra rinse

Then I leave them to dry for a week until next waterchange.

They don't smell and they look pristine.
Stupid question but since you are doing this in cold, do you run the washer on hot to sterilize before doing clothes?

Upvote 0

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overnight bleach treatment sterilized the socks before they went into the washer

Actually, good regimen

I may take it

I thought putting a roller filter would obviate socks, probably not in my system

Upvote 0

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been cleaning my filter socks by hand. I have just been rinsing them in the sink and using the spray nozzle on the sink to blast them. They do come clean but I am wondering if there is a better way. I don't want to put them in the washing machine do to ant left over detergents in the washer.i have three socks that I have been rotating out.
when i had sumps i always switched to filter floss cups over the socks
just way easier and less time consuming which kept me more “motivated” for maintenance

Upvote 0

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question but since you are doing this in cold, do you run the washer on hot to sterilize before doing clothes?
No stupid question here.

No I do not. I work construction so I wash my dirty clothes right after and don't mind it.

Upvote 0

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No stupid question here.

No I do not. I work construction so I wash my dirty clothes right after and don't mind it.
Well, my wife told me last year to never put any of my stuff in the washer. She is gone until next week. But I think she got me. My washer has the laundry detergent in it. I’m embarrassed to say all I have ever done is shut the door and push a button. God I feel like my grandfather. I think I need an app to shut the auto features off. I’ve pushed so many buttons already that I am certain she is going to know I put something in there I was forbid from doing, lol. Well, no turning back now.

Upvote 0

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my wife told me last year to never put any of my stuff in the washer. She is gone until next week. But I think she got me. My washer has the laundry detergent in it. I’m embarrassed to say all I have ever done is shut the door and push a button. God I feel like my grandfather. I think I need an app to shut the auto features off. I’ve pushed so many buttons already that I am certain she is going to know I put something in there I was forbid from doing, lol. Well, no turning back now.
She won't know trust me haha

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gellisjr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i had sumps i always switched to filter floss cups over the socks
just way easier and less time consuming which kept me more “motivated” for I use an odd ball filter sock

I use an odd ball type of filter sock. I actually use a 3x4 inch piece of egg crate in the opening. I put some filter floss over the egg crate and stick the whole thing in the over flow. My sump doesn't have provisions for filter socks.

Upvote 0

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds good to me.

Upvote 0

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for my 2 cents....I only wash them like every 4-5 weeks when I accumulate a bunch. I bought a lot of them; change out every 4-5 days and rinse in sink (in case of bristle worms and food particulates) then store in a bucket. then run a rinse cycle on the washing machine, wash the socks in those mesh delicate bags, then run an affresh tub cleaning tablet afterwards. the cleaning tablets are recommended every month normally so I just coordinate it. then hang them to dry. it works for me rather than generating extra trash. some people have a good enough set up that they can just run without socks.

but to answer that Q, yes, I would do some sort of rinse at least. but mine is the routine washer maintenance to help with mold/mildew anyway.

Upvote 0

drlewistwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use socks anymore (media cups, easier). But when I did, turned them inside out & rinsed, put in a bucket. When the last 2 were being used washed the rest in the machine with bleach & extra rinse, no issues

Upvote 0

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 inch sock holder I use reef diapers. New build has 7 inch holders so I'm using socks. They overflow after about 3 days. I have 12 socks (2 holders in sump ) and when I swap them I turn the dirty ones inside out and spray them with a hose, hang dry and into a bucket with a lid. When I put my last clean pair in the rest go in the washing machine on hot with a splash of bleach. After the cycle I turn them right side out and toss them back in for another short cycle with just water. Been washing socks like that for years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch socks/floss all together, just run a coarse mesh. At least give it a try and see if it works for your tank.

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back