Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my filter socks. Wouldn’t go without them. To me it’s the most simple and efficient waste removal system if you religiously change them out every few days. I know some folks don’t like cleaning them, but I don’t see the problem. I clean a sock out with a pressure hose in three minutes and throw it in bleach water. Take it out in two days when the next one goes in and let it dry for another two days before reuse. Simple, easy, efficient and cost effective.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank where I use filter socks and another where I don’t. They do help keep the sump cleaner but other than that I don’t see a huge difference. If I could easily add them to the tank that doesn’t have any I probably still would so I guess overall I’d pick to use socks.

AS

GarrettT

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If dosing phyto and copepods it would catch it all as well-right
Technically they should go through, especially phyto, but it makes for a more preferred area for copepods to reside. This is the reason I don’t run filter socks not because of the hassle.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to the mesh socks. They clean up way easier than felt, in my experience. Socks should be cleaned every three days or so. That is the part that most reefers skip. Then they plug up and become useless.

Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have always used filter socks

Someone might be talking me into going filter sock free

Wondering if i go in an finally go sock free
Ive run them full time last 2 decades

Avast

naterealbig

pea brain
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used socks or some filter material in all of my systems except my coral QT. I notice the number of sponges and other benthic life, along with the number of different pods and "micro-critters" is much (MUCH) higher in these setups. I'm going to run my next display with skimmer as the only mechanical filtration. I'll (like another mentioned) will probably run a sock for a couple hours during weekly deep cleanings. I think it will be very helpful with allowing the smaller animals that will help control algae and other photosynthetic pests.

Jay'sReefBugs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If dosing phyto a d coepids it would catch it all as well-right
No if they do it's negligible I haven't noticed any maybe a amphipod here and there but that's it . Most consumer grade copepods aren't swimming around in the water column so filter socks / skimmers/UV have little to no effect on the population

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No if they do it's negligible I haven't noticed any maybe a amphipod here and there but that's it . Most consumer grade copepods aren't swimming around in the water column so filter socks / skimmers/UV have little to no effect on the population
Pretty much what I see to.

I change mine out every 3 days. I dose 2ml/G of live phyto daily to feed the microfauna. I might see maybe 2 or 3 amphipods in my socks. What I do get is a massive amount of micro brittle stars! I get maybe 10 or so clung to the inside of the sock.

Most "pods" are clinging to the rocks, and other surfaces to get washed down the socks.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

PBar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried both for many years… my main conclusion is linked to how clean you like your sump to be.

- Rather clean sump
vs
- OMG… what is this in my sump!

I stayed the last year without it and just using from time to time to blow the rocks…
I have to admit that many stuff grew in my sump… pretty much became a refugium :)

Since I clean my sump… I went back to it!
Cheers

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran tanks both ways. Filter socks keep a cleaner tank imo. I use 200 micron socks 24/7 change them out once a week. I went back and forth years ago and pulled them off for several years to see if there was difference. Tbo I don't remember anything drastic but I went back to them. Sump stays cleaner and particles in display are too a minimum

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run both ways for many years at a time.

Only difference I have seen is like others have said, a cleaner sump, and less floating particles in the display. Other then that, no difference.

I prefer a cleaner sump, and less "floaties" so I run socks and change them out every 3 days.

Nutramar Foods

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I designed my sump in mind if the socks clogged. Then there is an overflow. That way the water is channeled where you want it to go.

As far as the socks. I use 200 micron. Maybe what you are using is like 100. Try some 200 or bigger. If you only want big particles you can use the felt ones.

Amazon is good source to try different ones at good price

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back