+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little about my tank…

My tank is 6 months old. It’s a 50 gal AIO. I started with “live” sand and dry rock, and slowly ramped up the lights over a couple of months (at the end of that process now). So far I only have fish and inverts.

My nitrates and phosphates were just over the high side of normal for a month or so but I’ve decreased my filter change intervals and added a small fuge to one of the back chambers of my AIO (using an AI Blade fuge light for that). They’re back to normal now.

I have an AWC set up that changes about 1 gallon per day (2%) and I vacuum my sandbed once a week which amounts to another 10% water change each week. I dose Microbacter Clean per the label as well.

I have a decent snail load (trochus, nessarius, cerith, Mexican turbo, astraea), a cleaner shrimp, and I introduced a tuxedo urchin last week.

My questions are about the green film algae coating the rocks…

I understand it’s part of the ugly phase. Thankfully it’s the only “bad guy” I’ve faced in my ugly phase!

But will it go away over time? Is there anything else I need to be doing to expedite that process?

Would it help to kill the lights for a few weeks?

Should I add more CUC? If so, what works well for film algae?

Finally, am I just being too anal and need to relax and not worry about it?

IMG_6677.jpeg

(The photo is only half the tank)

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will go away over time, don't you worry! :) Seems you're doing everything right and are diligent with your maintenance, so I would just wait it out.

Does your tuxedo urchin do a good job?

With no coral in there, there's nothing wring with giving 'black-out' a go, just start your lights on acclimation mode afterwards!

Best of luck..

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He gets around! That's about all I can say so far. Too early to tell if he's making a difference.

Thanks!
I have two in my 135 gallon and they are munching away like no tomorrow! James; and James the 2nd have been worth every penny so far! ;)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back