Fill these Tanks

WanderingAlbatross

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I'm a fairly new, hopefully long-term reef enthusiast. I'm a bit of a research geek. Anything that involves research and thinking about a concept from all angles. I realized I've got the itch bad, and I haven't gone into this lightly, considering the initial setup cost. But I'm also not one to do something halfway. I intend to go all in. I want to do as much research as possible before moving forward. I do hope that no one here has the urge to rip me a new one if I inadvertently ask a seemingly silly question.

That being said, I would like many different viewpoints on the following. I am going to provide a tentative stocking list. Those marked with an * are fish I'm rather invested in having at some point, those with a ? are extras that I don't have my heart set on that can be used to fill a gap if they are suitable. I apologize if some of these fish are referred to in slang that I am not yet familiar with.

BLUE HIPPO TANG
LUNARE WRASSE *
REGAL ANGEL
EMPEROR ANGEL *
SAILFIN TANG
GEM TANG *
SNOWFLAKE EEL
ZEBRA EEL *
JEWEL MORAY
CLOWN TANG
NIGER TRIGGER
HUMU TRIGGER
BLUE THROAT TRIGGER
RED BREASTED WRASSE
PARROT FISH (ANY TYPE) ?
FUSILIER
BLUE SPOT PUFFER *
BLUE BOXFISH
DWARF FUZZY LION
VOLITAN LION *
FLOUNDER ?
GIANT HAWKFISH ?
FLAME ANGEL
CORAL BEAUTY ANGEL
MARINE BETTA ?
SPECKLED HAWKFISH ?

THESE FISH ARE NOT ALL GOING IN THE SAME TANK ALL AT ONCE. THIS IS MERELY A "PICK YOUR POISON" LIST.

What I'd like from each of you if you might spare a moment, using some of these fish, fill the following 4 tanks. Anticipate these tanks being well equipped for processing a lot of excess from feeding, as I know some of these guys are messy. All fish will stay in their tank their whole lives, barring an unforeseen emergency. I have no intention of keeping them in a tank that is too small for their adult selves. They will be purchased as young and small as possible, to hopefully grant them some tolerance of each other as they mature. *NOTE: if possible, I want every fish kept in a male/female pair, and I am willing to reduce the number of different types of fish per tank in order to facilitate this goal*

350G FOWLR (LONG)

350G FOWLR (LONG)

60G (SPECIES ONLY)

80G (SPECIES ONLY)

If you have any recommendations about other fish you think I should add, feel free to add those as well. None of the fish have to be reef safe. I intend to have a separate community reef tank as well for small passive fish and inverts, which will not be part of this thread.

Any time you can grant my query is greatly appreciated. I look forward to your feedback! :)

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those tanks, I'm almost certain you can have all of those fish. "species tank" would be good for predators together, i.e lions, eels triggers, puffer, marine betta. I'd reserve a 350 FOWLR for that.

My only comment/question would be are you SURE you won't want corals and inverts at any point? If I were you, I'd reserve one of the tanks for that purpose, and leave out the predators and probably angels from that tank. Tangs make exceptional reef residents.

Good luck on your journey and keep up the awesome work on research and planning! We're excited to see you dive in...

OP
OP
W

WanderingAlbatross

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those tanks, I'm almost certain you can have all of those fish. "species tank" would be good for predators together, i.e lions, eels triggers, puffer, marine betta. I'd reserve a 350 FOWLR for that.

My only comment/question would be are you SURE you won't want corals and inverts at any point? If I were you, I'd reserve one of the tanks for that purpose, and leave out the predators and probably angels from that tank. Tangs make exceptional reef residents.

Good luck on your journey and keep up the awesome work on research and planning! We're excited to see you dive in...
Thank you for the feedback.

I absolutely want corals and inverts, the idea of a high biodiversity reef tank was what first got me interested. To have so many species cohabitating is amazing to watch. I fully intend to have a 200-250g reef tank as well, in addition to the ones mentioned above. If I am so blessed, I will add an additional 500-700 gallon wide footprint tank with the intent to have a pair of sharks and a pair of rays. That will be the last one set up though, so not nearly as pressing.

I appreciate all viewpoints provided. One thing I haven't been able to find on this forum yet is the size of "territory" that some of these fish need to minimize aggression. How much of the tank (350g) would a Humu claim as its territory as an adult, if it were competing with other territorial fish? A couple feet? One large den? Would a male/female pair share the same territory?

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOOh this will be fun!!

350G Competitive fish tank!
  • BLUE HIPPO TANG
  • LUNARE WRASSE *
  • REGAL ANGEL
  • EMPEROR ANGEL *
  • SAILFIN TANG
  • GEM TANG *
  • Fusilier
  • NIGER TRIGGER
  • HUMU TRIGGER
  • BLUE THROAT TRIGGER
  • RED BREASTED WRASSE
  • PARROT FISH (ANY TYPE) ?
  • FUSILIER
  • BLUE SPOT PUFFER *
  • Speckled Hawkfish (do you mean falco hawkfish??)
Additons I would suggest:
  • Galaxy wrasse (Coris Gaimard)
  • Harlequin tusk
  • Magnificent Foxface
  • Hogfish like the lyretail (Bodianus anthoides)

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350G Slow and scary
  • SNOWFLAKE EEL
  • ZEBRA EEL *
  • JEWEL MORAY
  • CLOWN TANG (could switch around tangs but just want to give you an algae eater)
  • BLUE BOXFISH
  • DWARF FUZZY LION
  • VOLITAN LION *
  • FLOUNDER ?
  • GIANT HAWKFISH

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60G Small and shy tank

• FLAME ANGEL
  • CORAL BEAUTY ANGEL
  • MARINE BETTA ?

Finally....
80G Species only
  • Dragon wrasse because its the best!!

OP
OP
W

WanderingAlbatross

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on their genders.
I appreciate the enthusiasm and ideas, but the intent was for both the 60g and 80g to be single-species tanks, leaving the 2 350g for large/aggressive communities.

Also, the plan is to have a male and female of every fish I get. I've seen many people have only one of each fish, to maximize variety I presume. I prefer fewer types in favor of mated pairs of each. I would like my tanks well stocked though, save for the species-only tanks.

Blessings to all :)

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the enthusiasm and ideas, but the intent was for both the 60g and 80g to be single-species tanks, leaving the 2 350g for large/aggressive communities.

Also, the plan is to have a male and female of every fish I get. I've seen many people have only one of each fish, to maximize variety I presume. I prefer fewer types in favor of mated pairs of each. I would like my tanks well stocked though, save for the species-only tanks.

Blessings to all :)
No. People avoid pairs because they are more likely to kill each other. Especially the wrasse

OP
OP
W

WanderingAlbatross

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOOh this will be fun!!

350G Competitive fish tank!
  • BLUE HIPPO TANG
  • LUNARE WRASSE *
  • REGAL ANGEL
  • EMPEROR ANGEL *
  • SAILFIN TANG
  • GEM TANG *
  • Fusilier
  • NIGER TRIGGER
  • HUMU TRIGGER
  • BLUE THROAT TRIGGER
  • RED BREASTED WRASSE
  • PARROT FISH (ANY TYPE) ?
  • FUSILIER
  • BLUE SPOT PUFFER *
  • Speckled Hawkfish (do you mean falco hawkfish??)
Additons I would suggest:
  • Galaxy wrasse (Coris Gaimard)
  • Harlequin tusk
  • Magnificent Foxface
  • Hogfish like the lyretail (Bodianus anthoides)

I do wonder though, is it possible to have that many fish of that size in together at once, even in a 350g? Having a male/female pair of each would make that 30 fish, before accounting for the recommendations you provided. I was under the impression that most of the listed fish grow between 9 and 18 inches, save for Fusilier, which I thought got closer to 20 inches? I'm certainly in no position, nor have any interest in, starting a war, it just seemed like a lot to me when I was tank-storming my stocking lists.

Blessings :)

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do wonder though, is it possible to have that many fish of that size in together at once, even in a 350g? Having a male/female pair of each would make that 30 fish, before accounting for the recommendations you provided. I was under the impression that most of the listed fish grow between 9 and 18 inches, save for Fusilier, which I thought got closer to 20 inches? I'm certainly in no position, nor have any interest in, starting a war, it just seemed like a lot to me when I was tank-storming my stocking lists.

Blessings :)
You have the issues of fish that are competing for water column food and are thus fast and aggressive eaters. Then you also have predators that are slow and need either live or targeted feeding. Keeping eels and lion fish well fed when you have wrasse and triggers constantly stealing it makes feeding predators much harder.

Mixing both is possible and I have done it but it is far easier to have an active tank and a predator tank.

OP
OP
W

WanderingAlbatross

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the issues of fish that are competing for water column food and are thus fast and aggressive eaters. Then you also have predators that are slow and need either live or targeted feeding. Keeping eels and lion fish well fed when you have wrasse and triggers constantly stealing it makes feeding predators much harder.

Mixing both is possible and I have done it but it is far easier to have an active tank and a predator tank.
I totally understand the logic, trying to match up feeding habits, aggression levels, size, and activity take precision. (or perhaps luck lol)

I've heard some gnarly horror stories about multiple trigger types in one tank shredding each other. And others swear up and down they've never had a problem with the same group of fish. Same thing with tangs. And certain fish being reef safe or not. It's something I've noticed in many of these forums. One thing most people seem to agree on is that there is no single correct answer. So many times, I see an answer that's something akin to "it depends on the fish, you don't know until you try". I'm a firm believer in having as much information as possible in order to make an informed decision. I've accepted that there will always be risk, and that some fish may require specialized care. I appreciate the time you have taken to lend me your knowledge thus far.

I certainly do not mean to come across as argumentative, I simply want to pick through information I get to ensure maximum clarification. I apologize if I inadvertently ruffle any feathers.

Cheers

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels!!! I love eels, amazing fish to keep and care for. Love the 4 I have, jeweled, snowflake, white eye, and zebra morays!

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand the logic, trying to match up feeding habits, aggression levels, size, and activity take precision. (or perhaps luck lol)

I've heard some gnarly horror stories about multiple trigger types in one tank shredding each other. And others swear up and down they've never had a problem with the same group of fish. Same thing with tangs. And certain fish being reef safe or not. It's something I've noticed in many of these forums. One thing most people seem to agree on is that there is no single correct answer. So many times, I see an answer that's something akin to "it depends on the fish, you don't know until you try". I'm a firm believer in having as much information as possible in order to make an informed decision. I've accepted that there will always be risk, and that some fish may require specialized care. I appreciate the time you have taken to lend me your knowledge thus far.

I certainly do not mean to come across as argumentative, I simply want to pick through information I get to ensure maximum clarification. I apologize if I inadvertently ruffle any feathers.

Cheers
Oh you’re not at all coming off as argumentative. I’m just trying to give you the plan I think will work best.

Triggers are a pain whichever way you do it. I had blue throats which are the most peaceful and they killed my dwarf angel and constantly menaced and stole food from my eels. They are possibly your best bet for the species only tanks but the issue is they get big. Yes they can fight with each other and if you get two males of the same species one will kill the other.

For wrasse you can only have pairs of certain species and then you need an extra large tank. Getting similar species is safer. For example if you got a Thalassoma lunare and a Thalassoma lutescens you are more likely to have succes then with two Thalassoma lunares.

Finally you asked about parrotfish. Parrots are difficult and need a ton of algae. If you really want one Scarrus quoyi is the most commonly kept and perhaps the easiest. Just stock up on algae sheets.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
W

WanderingAlbatross

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you’re not at all coming off as argumentative. I’m just trying to give you the plan I think will work best.

Triggers are a pain whichever way you do it. I had blue throats which are the most peaceful and they killed my dwarf angel and constantly menaced and stole food from my eels. They are possibly your best bet for the species only tanks but the issue is they get big. Yes they can fight with each other and if you get two males of the same species one will kill the other.

For wrasse you can only have pairs of certain species and then you need an extra large tank. Getting similar species is safer. For example if you got a Thalassoma lunare and a Thalassoma lutescens you are more likely to have succes then with two Thalassoma lunares.

Finally you asked about parrotfish. Parrots are difficult and need a ton of algae. If you really want one Scarrus quoyi is the most commonly kept and perhaps the easiest. Just stock up on algae sheets.
Good to know, I wasn't totally sold on the parrotfish, I couldn't find much information on it, I just wanted to see what y'all thought of it. Sounds like it won't be the best fit at this time.

The triggers are rather iffy for me too, I want to have a set at some point, but they may not be as suited for my community tank at present. They may sit on the backburner for a later date. Some people have said they have great personality, they just get snippy with other fish. I've also heard that clown tangs can get really mean, so I thought they might stand a chance in with a couple triggers. (and of course provide cleanup services)

I was hoping if I had fewer types of fish in a 350 with tons of caves and crevices, I might be able to work with a couple pairs of various territorial fish. I'm not sure how much bigger than that I'll be able to go. (I'm pushing it already with the 500-700g for sharks and rays) If I can't get them to get along, I can always put one in each of the 350s, and try to bring them together at a later date, though I'd rather have them together wherever possible. Why is it that the best looking fish tend to be the meanest, most incompatible with tankmates fish ever lol.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back