Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a filefish and it wiped out my aiptasia. I put him in the sump for a month, because I was worried he might start to nip coral polyps. Aiptasia came back, so I put him back in the DT. Now, of course, he refuses to eat aiptasia and they are exploding. Just get another?

World Wide Corals

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No -- you'll just end up with two "aiptasia eating filefish" that are probably dieting.

I'd put the filefish back in the sump and get some berghia nudibranchs. Actually, I'd get rid of the filefish if it's a coral nipper and cultivate nudibranchs in your sump. It's much easier to do this when there's nothing around to eat them.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No -- you'll just end up with two "aiptasia eating filefish" that are probably dieting.

I'd put the filefish back in the sump and get some berghia nudibranchs. Actually, I'd get rid of the filefish if it's a coral nipper and cultivate nudibranchs in your sump. It's much easier to do this when there's nothing around to eat them.
Long as your livestock is compatible for berghia. Any wrasses and they are a no-go.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
artieg1

artieg1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long as your livestock is compatible for berghia. Any wrasses and they are a no-go.
That's the issue. They would not survive. And I have 100s of aiptasia now, big honking ones, too. So need something that will plow through them.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your options are limited, much like mine. Catching multiple Halichoeres wrasses wasn't gonna happen, peppermint shrimp or berghia will be devoured by wrasses or hawkfish(s) in my case. I was down to the filefish, it did a good job, but be prepared to catch it if/when the aiptasia is gone. They are trappable and are faster than people say, especially with a lot of rockwork.

World Wide Corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That's the issue. They would not survive. And I have 100s of aiptasia now, big honking ones, too. So need something that will plow through them.
For Aptasia- You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Aptasia- You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png
I’m curious, where are you getting ‘yellow head klein’s butterfly’ from? The Klein’s will always have a blue tint on their head. The photo shows it rather well but in most specimens it’s a tint and only truly seen at a specific angle under certain lighting.

Any butterfly will be a risk with coral no matter how ‘reef safe’ they are. This is a butterfly that also needs a decent sized tank (4’+) due to activity, without knowing the OP’s tank dimensions and other tank mates we can’t really recommend large aiptasia eaters like butterflies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
artieg1

artieg1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, where are you getting ‘yellow head klein’s butterfly’ from? The Klein’s will always have a blue tint on their head. The photo shows it rather well but in most specimens it’s a tiny and only truly seen at a specific angle under certain lighting.

Any butterfly will be a risk with coral no matter how ‘reef safe’ they are. This is a butterfly that also needs a decent sized tank (4’+) due to activity, without knowing the OP’s tank dimensions and other tank mates we can’t really recommend large aiptasia eaters like butterflies.
200 gallon mixed reef DT, 100 gallon sump, 3x AI Hydra 52

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
artieg1

artieg1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one a FF from biota and I’m not sure it ever started eating my aptasia. How long before yours started putting in work ? Hope it starts eating them again for you !
The first time, it took a month and then all the aiptasia started disappearing. He's on strike now.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back