Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of buying some live rock from a lfs that came straight from the Fiji ocean. I have 2 clowns 2 zoa frags and some Xenia and my clean up crew. Would the possible hitcchhikers pose a threat to any of my current animals? Also what are some things people have got from Fiji rock?

Corals.com

tmccaff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the best rock in my experience is from Tampa Bay Saltwater. However, all rock now is aquaculture rock no rock is actually Fiji rock its illegal. With that said yes you can get bad hitchhikers but good ones also. Depends really on the size of rock you're getting. The bigger size may have mantis shrimp, I doubt though your LFS will have that issue. I have never seen better rock than Tampa Bay though anywhere.

Tampa Bay depends on the year you get it, I have got a lot of Gorilla crabs, I also got a octopus (gave him to my LFS). I got nano size rock and didn't get a mantis. Keep in mind bigger size rock and more rock the more likely to get some pests.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of buying some live rock from a lfs that came straight from the Fiji ocean. I have 2 clowns 2 zoa frags and some Xenia and my clean up crew. Would the possible hitcchhikers pose a threat to any of my current animals? Also what are some things people have got from Fiji rock?
It's always best to quarantine ocean live rock before putting it in an established system. A week of observation can save you months of trouble down the road.

Nutramar Foods

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well the best rock in my experience is from Tampa Bay Saltwater. However, all rock now is aquaculture rock no rock is actually Fiji rock its illegal.

"Live rock that was in the ocean around Fiji" is still pretty cool, though.

The best route with live rock is to quarantine it. That's easy enough- you just need a big bucket or small tub, with some sort of flow, a heater, and some light. Check it at night with a flashlight a few times, maybe pop in a bottle trap for awhile You're likely to get crabs that you'd probably want to remove and humanely euthanize, a wide variety of harmless-to-beneficial worms, macroalgae, all manner of beneficial fish snacks like copepods, and maybe even some coral spores if you're really lucky.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back