Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Blue-Striped Tamarin that I got as a female, I believe is starting to change into a male. I thought someone had told me that if they were alone in the tank they would always remain with female coloring and would only change if another Blue striped Tamarin was introduced into the tank with them. Not sure that is true for this fish.

Starting to change into Male:

Nutramar Foods

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear to be transitioning in my limited experience through pictures/research.
From what I understand, most wrasses will transition to male eventually if they live long enough regardless of other tank mates even of the same species.
My experience and research are quite limited, though, so I defer the question to @SaltyT

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear to be transitioning in my limited experience through pictures/research.
From what I understand, most wrasses will transition to male eventually if they live long enough regardless of other tank mates even of the same species.
My experience and research are quite limited, though, so I defer the question to @SaltyT
That's my understanding too. The transition seems to be caused by specific stressors of some kind, but we don't seem to understand what the stressors are. In the wild, they'll transition when the terminal male of the group is removed, so it is related to their social structure in some way, but, clearly, the stressor or stressors that initiate the change are not necessarily tied to social structure.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
C

Curleymon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my understanding too. The transition seems to be caused by specific stressors of some kind, but we don't seem to understand what the stressors are. In the wild, they'll transition when the terminal male of the group is removed, so it is related to their social structure in some way, but, clearly, the stressor or stressors that initiate the change are not necessarily tied to social structure.
Well if stress is what makes them initiate the change then I know what that was in this case. She/he appeared to have what seemed like a swim bladder problem. Turned out to be a parasitic issue in the digestive system and after treating in the hospital tank she ended up coming back. I thought I was going to lose her but I was successful with treatment. Since then I have noticed the change in coloration.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer I can’t see the videos bc I’m on a Mac :( Any chance you can upload them to youtube so us Mac/iPhone folks can see?

How long have you had her?

OP
OP
C

Curleymon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer I can’t see the videos bc I’m on a Mac :( Any chance you can upload them to youtube so us Mac/iPhone folks can see?

How long have you had her?
I have had her for over 2 years. She really keeps the tank clean of worms and most pests. I plan on buying another one so they are a pair.

Interesting you can't see the video since I uploaded it from my iPhone.

Here is the link:

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had her for over 2 years. She really keeps the tank clean of worms and most pests. I plan on buying another one so they are a pair.

Interesting you can't see the video since I uploaded it from my iPhone.

Here is the link:

Thanks, I can see both videos now. Yes, she is transitioning that's pretty cool. Anampses sp. can transition to male without another female being present, but they usually don't until they're around 4+" which yours looks to be and even then there's no guarantee that they will transition. Keep us updated on her progression, we don't get to see the transition of femininus from female to male that often.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back