Female clownfish beating up male. What should I do?

Nutramar

smoothdawg65

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago, I got a pair of clownfish. but recently they have been really aggressive towards each other with the female beating up the male and leaving him with beat up fins. I currently have the male in a fish trap inside if the tank. What should I do?

BRS
OP
OP
S

smoothdawg65

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the female in an acclimation box or the sump for 2 or 3 weeks. Let the male heal up in the display.
sorry, that's what I'm currently doing I meant to say acclimation box not fish trap. thanks for the clarification though that helps a lot.

CLICK TO VIEW

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Jekyl on the acclimation box.
Ive paired clownfish moving one of them back into and out of the acclimation box. I start with the male in the box for a little because the female will most likely approach it and after charging the box the male will start to do its submission dance (twitching). Then I switch the male and female so the male gets used to the tank, the male most of the time wants to be with a larger clownfish for protection so it approaches the box. When they both start twitching for a couple days I put them together.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago, I got a pair of clownfish. but recently they have been really aggressive towards each other with the female beating up the male and leaving him with beat up fins. I currently have the male in a fish trap inside if the tank. What should I do?
Make sure the aggressor (female) is in the time out box. The male should have free reign of the tank and time to heal and learn the lay of the land.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

mslatts_reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this issue with a couple of pairs of clownfish. Separating the fish for a couple of weeks, and then reintroducing them has worked well for me. I remove the female from the tank to reduce the stress on the male.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will probably work out soon just give it some time. With my latest pair (4 or so years together), the female percula grabbed my male orange storm (ocellaris) by its fins and dragged it into its anemone so it anemone would eat it. Slowly it got used to it and now they breed all the time

I would suggest changing your location under your name as most people will use towns or cities but not an exact address just for security concerns

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
S

smoothdawg65

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will probably work out soon just give it some time. My female percula grabbed my male orange storm (ocellaris) by its fins and dragged it into its anemone so it anemone would eat it. Slowly it got used to it and now they breed all the time

I would suggest changing your location under your name as most people will use towns or cities but not an exact address just for security concerns
thanks, will do.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will probably work out soon just give it some time. With my latest pair (4 or so years together), the female percula grabbed my male orange storm (ocellaris) by its fins and dragged it into its anemone so it anemone would eat it. Slowly it got used to it and now they breed all the time

I have been married for 16 years. I got used to it...

and now we breed all the time!

CLICK TO VIEW
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back