Feeding air into skimmer

piranhaman00

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Finding bits of info about this but figured I’d ask.

I added a skimmer to my aquarium but want to increase bubble formation. I routed an air line into the bubble diffuser of the skimmer with a manifold containing 4 little air stones. Currently the skimmer is running with the needle wheel Venturi pulling in air and then the additional air from the air stones.

Any ideas on if this will help? Assuming more bubbles and different size bubbles will Increase performance.

gkprevite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would have little effect as the pump is only capable of pulling in so much air. Seems like a harmless experiment to run never the less

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Finding bits of info about this but figured I’d ask.

I added a skimmer to my aquarium but want to increase bubble formation. I routed an air line into the bubble diffuser of the skimmer with a manifold containing 4 little air stones. Currently the skimmer is running with the needle wheel Venturi pulling in air and then the additional air from the air stones.

Any ideas on if this will help? Assuming more bubbles and different size bubbles will Increase performance.
If the air stones are not wood diffusers (limewood, basswood), the bubbles will be too large and may make skimming worse.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the air stones are not wood diffusers (limewood, basswood), the bubbles will be too large and may make skimming worse.

What about bubbles created by Venturi skimmers? Those are praised for the differing bubble sizes.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about bubbles created by Venturi skimmers? Those are praised for the differing bubble sizes.
They might differ in size but if they are not below “very tiny” in size they are no good. The typical air stone bubble is too large to make a good foam.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about varying sizes of bubbles being better but the way I see it, finer bubbles = more surface area per volume for organics/oils to come in contact with.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back