Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5yr old is completely enthralled with our saltwater tank. We've been slow with it, so it's pretty lightly stocked currently(75gal, btw) she wants to add her favorite color into the tank so I've let her choose some red corals but now she wants to add a red fish. So my question is, what is your favorite reef safe red fish?

I've heard Flame angels are hit or miss with being reef safe, so it is on the list since it would be a legitimate excuse to set up another tank if it starts eating the corals haha

Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5yr old is completely enthralled with our saltwater tank. We've been slow with it, so it's pretty lightly stocked currently(75gal, btw) she wants to add her favorite color into the tank so I've let her choose some red corals but now she wants to add a red fish. So my question is, what is your favorite reef safe red fish?

I've heard Flame angels are hit or miss with being reef safe, so it is on the list since it would be a legitimate excuse to set up another tank if it starts eating the corals haha
There’s a big family that comes to mind for red;
Labridae!
Just a few red wrasses that will fit include;
Cirrhilabrus rubeus
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa
Cirrhilabrus shutmani
Halichoeres biocellatus
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres cosmetus
Halichoeres lapillus
Macropharyngodon kuiteri
Macropharyngodon ornatissimus
Pseudojuloides atavai

This is just a short list of wrasses alone, to go further into them I would need a better idea of your dimensions, specifically floorspace :)

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trio of orange, purple eye Anthais?
One will change to male which is “reddish”.
9519A0B9-D8AD-4884-9BE5-192E7E228416.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawkfish for me. Rather dopey looking, but has interesting character traits

Then you can get a golden version as a tank mate! View attachment 2997302
View attachment 2997292
Just a warning;
Tahitian Gold’s get huge and can get surprisingly aggressive. I believe Tahitian Gold Hawks can get 8 inches. The one I had in the LFS was a good 6 inches and wasn’t afraid to draw blood when it bit. There is also a Japanese Golden Hawk which you may be referring to and accidentally used a Tahitian Gold photo. This is the Japanese Gold.
B6130523-7B8A-43BC-9FED-F87FDCE9B487.jpeg

I think the Lyretail is a nicer hawk personally :)
It adds the red and yellow along with a stunning tail you don’t usually see in Hawkfish or low activity fish.

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not call my flame angel a red fish but when I think red I think RED like the flame hawk.

There are shrimp gobies with red on them like the yasha or wheelers

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rooster waspfish? Venomous, but you shouldn't put your bare hands in the tank anyway, and it's the "ow, $#@&" kind of venom rather than the lethal kind.

Or, flow permitting, saltwater-acclimated guppies. Though those may not be the best option for a kid, considering they don't live long.

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No votes for a nice female Lubbock's fairy wrasse?! Well, I'm first in on that one. Lovely fish with lovely coloration.
The reason for that is, ALL Cirrhilabrus will mature into males in captivity. You can get a female of any Cirrhilabrus wrasse (Most of them are red as females) and you’ll end up with a different colour, sometimes that colour doesn’t even resemble red like with Cirrhilabrus hygroxerus.

Corals.com

Reeferbadness

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A note on flame angelfish....the problem is not as much that they can develop a taste for corals, but rather the fact that when they do entire colonies can be stripped in a single night without warning.
I have a pesky flame angelfish - who i suspect does exactly this - mostly to softies and zoa's. I have to be very careful when i add things. If things look bad for an addition, i usually move it to my other tank. It's odd though, he leaves some specific things alone for years and then suddenly develops a taste for it.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back