Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a prism favia and a yellow sub favia that have spots of swelling going on. Is this a disease? Parameter issue?

Both favias were close to a large torch and within range of sweeper tentacles. My initial thought was that it was a response to being stung by the torch and so I moved them. It has been several weeks since.

Parameters were less than ideal for a month or so. Alk dropped down to 6 and calcium down to around ~300. Both parameters have since been corrected. I wouldn’t say there was a parameter “swing” because the levels decreased over time. All other corals- acros, euphyllia, gonis, acans are doing fine.

Ph 8.2
Alk 8
Ca 420
Mag 1300
Salinity 1.025

No3 0-1 (low)
Po4 0-.01 (low) and as a result dealing with a minor amphidium flare up.

F61CB31B-4FC8-47E3-82CB-D1F1A98F0B46.jpeg DC36C108-7CF4-455D-BFE2-EEF6326D20F3.jpeg 7A749AC2-82E8-49B5-A9DD-DFE12661287D.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
LoneWolfReefer

LoneWolfReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look bad but little unusual for the swelling. You already know your numbers are off a bit. I keep my favias mid tank in 200 par. Maybe those polyps are pregnant and bunch of baby polyps getting ready to hatch.
Interesting Is that how it works? What are the terms or what should I google to learn more about this?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I've found on coral bubbling:
ISpeakForTheSeas said:
I don't know if this is related or not, but it reminds me of when corals "bounce" unexpectedly (such as the acans discussed below):
ISpeakForTheSeas said:
They're basically joking that you've either got two corals or a "bounce" acan that would be potentially be valuable.

The only thing I can find on this condition is that it may potentially be caused either by some kind of high lighting (some people say LED's, others UV; it's basically thought to be similar to sunburn reaction in people) or by elevated potassium levels, and it doesn't seem to negatively impact the corals in any way (but the bubbles if popped are prone to infection):
www.reef2reef.com

Bubbling Acanthophyllia and Acan

Hi You'all, My Acanthophyllia and Acan are Bubbling. I've seen some information regarding bubbling happening due to certain lighting conditions. Can someone enlighten me on this topic, please?
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

Flesh bubbles on acan?

Hello, I noticed these curious little blisters on my acan which has been doing well otherwise for awhile. It has has been inflating very large during the day with good feeder tentacle extension at night or during feeding times. My other acan colony seems to be fine. Any ideas what this could...
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

Odd bubble in acan bower tissue

This acanthastrea bowerbanki has developed a large bubble in its tissue. It inflates with water during the day but shrinks back down at night. Any idea what is happening or what this is?
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

Bounce Acans/Micros

Anyone see this before? My Acans are getting the bounce growth seen on mushrooms? Pretty cool!
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

Bounce Acan

has anyone ever seen or have a bounce acan? I have had this frag for a few months and as it is growing it is “bouncing”. Check it out! Let’s hear some thoughts, cause it would seem there is little info on these right now. Pretty neat and a true new one on me!
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

Bouncing Acan?

Not really crazy about Bounce Mushrooms but my Acan has a bounce tumor on it and has had it since I got it. Just thought it was interesting with the bounce thing going on. What say you?
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

Bounce Acan? What could be causing this Phenomena???

Never seen a Acan that’s “bounces”... from what I’ve read about bounce mushrooms it could be the light but then again this could be one of those rare occasions...
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com
So, it may be high lighting/UV or it may be elevated potassium; I've also heard of this happening to a number of other LPS corals (including different hammers), with suspected potential causes such as: coral starvation/lack of nutrients in tank, coral overfeeding, lack of flow, and toxins and/or activated carbon. No one seems to know for certain what causes it, though, and it doesn't seem to be harmful.
www.reef2reef.com

Sick hammer coral help

First post here so hope I found the right forum area. For a few months now my hammer coral has been puffy and I can not figure out why, hoping someone with more experience might be able to help. Chemistry is on from what I can tell- calcium 450, alk 8.4, ph 8.34 on probe, no detection of no3...
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

Swollen torch,hammers,frogspawn

Wondering why they all look swollen Alk 8.6 cal 425 mag 1350 nitrate 10 phos .18 salinity 1.025 temp 78-80 2g4 pros with t5s mp40 mp10 for flow
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

Why is my hammer all puffy??

I’ve never seen it like this before. What does it mean?
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

Swollen hammer ...

Anyone ever seen anything like this ? I am getting ready for bed, and stopped to take a quick look and seen this. Gotta get up in a few hours for work, so it will probably be tomorrow before I respond.
www.reef2reef.com
www.reef2reef.com

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back