Family Affair - Who's enjoying your tank?

BRS
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ignore tank.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Anytime my wife has guests over I wait till they leave then bombard her with questions "did they see the tanks?", "did they like the tanks?", "what did they say about the tanks?". . .
Love it

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me clarify. They're part of our family just like our 3 Great Danes. So we both partake in maintenance although I prefer to do it myself. It's either that or pick up dog poop from 3 very large dogs. She thinks dumping the skimmers and changing media is disgusting and I hate picking up the poop outside so it all works out..lol

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have stated, I don’t think my wife is even aware I have a tank in our most used room. It’s been 18 months. Both of my sons have fresh water tanks and are into it and have helped out occasionally. My daughter not so much but she loves the asterina starfish!

Nutramar Foods

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife allows me to be actively involved in the hobby. She will goto frag shows, club meetings, conventions - our deal previously was whenever we went to a LFS, Show, Swap, etc if she found a pair of designer clowns she liked, she just told me where they were and I would buy them, no questions asked.

And this worked well for us for years and years.

When we crashed our 560g tank and I thought it was time to take a break, my wife said, "No, you go order that new tank you have been talking about."

My wife was no problems with the frag swaps we have posted in our backyards, and the regular guests in our house that come to view the tanks.

We installed our new 750g back in Sept. And now the shows and fish stores visits have a different deal. Instead of clownfish, she gets to pickout whatever corals she wants to grow in the 750. Our last frag show we went to we came home with 40 pieces and she was the selector of 15 of them. Now sure there was a monti or 2 that I wouldn't have chosen to put in the tank. But alas with a back wall covered in rock and a 4' depth from front to back there are plenty of spaces to grow corals that aren't front and center.

She feeds the fish several times a day. She gets infuriated when the tangs bicker. She might not know which corals are the ones she picked out for the tank, but she knows shes been an active part of filling the tank.

And the greatest part about my wife is... Ordering a 750g tank, building a custom stand, digging up the patio and burying 200' of pipe in the back yard, renting not 1 but 2 cranes to lift the tank over the house into the back yard, 12 new Radion G6 XR30 Pros, Motorized light lift, custom cabinetry and now 7 months of Fish store trips and frag swaps spent bringing home boxes and boxes and boxes of coral and fish - she has never once asked what anything cost :)
That's a keeper! Just attended a frag show with my wife, locally - imagine my surprise when she bought a 150$ scoly
She helps keep an eye on things

Rham1281

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have our tanks and maintain and enjoy them.
How many of us have our significant other and family enjoying the tank or is it just you ?
How many go to an LFS or frags show, even RAP and MACNA and the family comes along?

Other than friends or guests who occasionally stop by, my daughter in college when she comes home admires the tank.
My GF- not so much. She says its pretty but will walk by it and barely look at it - to her, its just a big fish tank SMH
My Aussie enjoys staring for a while!
20230314_191802.jpg

OPL

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My youngest and the family cat love my tank, they will happily watch it with me. The cat can spend the best part of the day watching the fish, luckily he shows no interest in trying to get them.

My mother-in-law is really fascinated with the royal gramma, trachys and torches. My wife isn’t too bothered on the other hand, apart from when my brittle stars or the bristle worm are out n about.

scottkoji

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have our tanks and maintain and enjoy them.
How many of us have our significant other and family enjoying the tank or is it just you ?
How many go to an LFS or frags show, even RAP and MACNA and the family comes along?

Other than friends or guests who occasionally stop by, my daughter in college when she comes home admires the tank.
My GF- not so much. She says its pretty but will walk by it and barely look at it - to her, its just a big fish tank SMH
i've been super lucky in this department throughout my reefing journey. when my wife and i first started dating about 12ish years ago, she immediately fell in love with my little reef tank (if you consider a pile of live rock, bristle worms, and mushrooms a reef tank) and started her own a few months later. we've been in love with the hobby ever since. we go to shows and frag swaps together whenever we can and we take the kids to various LFSs around LA every so often. We move a lot which makes reef keeping hard (why i keep a nano) so i'm honestly not sure if i'd be able to do this hobby without her help and encouragement. it makes the whole thing more fun.

fodsod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are in it 100% together although I do 99% of the actual maintenance, testing and general upkeep (which I don't mind at all as that is the hobby for the most part).

She likes picking out new critters assisting in coral placement, helping decide changes in rock work or adding new rock structures and so on. We discuss everything major before we make decisions that I typically implement regarding the tanks. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

As far as the money goes, she's also 100% on board if it makes the tanks better regardless of the expense. I will give her all the credit for being the fish whisperer when it comes to catching fish to move them. That is her job hands down as she is WAY better at it than I am.

Our tanks are in between the living room and kitchen so you can't miss them. Everyone who comes over enjoys them. My grandson (3yo) will sit in front of the 90G and watch the fish for hours. He loves fish.

I haven't met anyone yet that doesn't find a reef tank fascinating to watch for a while. There's just so much going on.
fish tank misfits and monsters GIF by truTV’s Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Copepods
Back