Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a new tank which has been cycled for 2 weeks with one torch only, I added a rock with GSP and a rock with Zoas yesterday. Today I checked the alkalinity with Salifert test kit and the result was 4.5dkh. It was so low that I had to test again to be sure but the result was still the same. I cannot understand how the alkalinity would drop so significantly even though I have so few corals. A few days ago alk was about 8dkh. What is wrong and what should I do about it? My corals are still looking healthy and happy but Im thinking about a quick water change to bring up the alk.

Salt mix: Aquaforest sea salt, which is advertised to have 8.3-8.9dkh at 1026sg. Current salinity: 1025sg

BRS

csturgis1989

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any coralline algae growing? That could be taking up alk. I would say if everything looks happy not to worry too much especially with it being a new tank. Just do your regular water changes and eventually things will stabilize as the tank matures.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
M

mercurialchen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any coralline algae growing? That could be taking up alk. I would say if everything looks happy not to worry too much especially with it being a new tank. Just do your regular water changes and eventually things will stabilize as the tank matures.
I dont think there is coraline algae anywhere in the tank

Avast
Top Shelf Aquatics
World Wide Corals

CoachRichardson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tank setup with dry rock? The rock can be taking up the Alk. I would caution on the big water change. You don't want Alk jumping. If you do a water change do a small one, test the level and keep making small ones until you bring it back where you want it.

OP
OP
M

mercurialchen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tank setup with dry rock? The rock can be taking up the Alk. I would caution on the big water change. You don't want Alk jumping. If you do a water change do a small one, test the level and keep making small ones until you bring it back where you want it.
It was. I dont have any live rock in my tank. As for water changes, I only did 10% for 3 times total

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use that same alk test on the new salt water? It might be test error. Which kit?

Cycling depletes alkalinity. The conversion of ammonia into nitrate depletes the alk.

OP
OP
M

mercurialchen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use that same alk test on the new salt water? It might be test error. Which kit?

Cycling depletes alkalinity. The conversion of ammonia into nitrate depletes the alk.
I used the same Salifert test kit. I tested alk on the newly mixed water before it going into the tank and it showed around 8dkh

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back