Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently working on the return plumbing for a 90 gallon tank. It all will be external since I’m converting a durso to a herbie, so the return lines are going up the back and over.

My question is, what adapter would you use to go from the pvc pipe going up the back to get the water back into the tank?

I’ve seen stuff like this, but is this my best option? I’d have to get a barbed fitting on the end of the pvc and add a section or rubber hose to make that work. Any better options?
F9F50230-27E6-4F3A-A529-DB6F0AB49E91.png

Top Shelf Aquatics

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
M

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mjw011689 I’ve seen pvc to loc line adapters. Here is an example of one.

Ok so I was wondering about that. I assume just run a 90 from the pvc back over the edge of the tank and thread that into the 90. I may have to run a pair of 90s to angle it back down into the tank, although I really wanted to keep any white over out of view

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along as I am having a similar issue. My plan was to just run flex tubing from the return
I thought about that too, but with a couple of the angles I had to pull off I didn’t want to risk bending the flex tube to the point where it’s kinked. Also I think the pvc return just looks cleaner. Not that what it looks like behind the tank is super important once it’s in place, but I know it’s there lol.

Zero_Cool

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I was wondering about that. I assume just run a 90 from the pvc back over the edge of the tank and thread that into the 90. I may have to run a pair of 90s to angle it back down into the tank, although I really wanted to keep any white over out of view
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/fittings/black-sch-40.html

You can get black PVC fittings. If close enough to the edge of the tank and waterline then you would not need a second elbow and could run just the locline. Downside to Locline is it is only available in 1/2 and 3/4 inch. What kind of flow are you looking to push?

How are you planning to secure the return line up the back of the tank? I have seen PVC hard plumbing secured to the stand with clamps but ever seen vinyl flex done this way.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
M

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/fittings/black-sch-40.html

You can get black PVC fittings. If close enough to the edge of the tank and waterline then you would not need a second elbow and could run just the locline. Downside to Locline is it is only available in 1/2 and 3/4 inch. What kind of flow are you looking to push?

How are you planning to secure the return line up the back of the tank? I have seen PVC hard plumbing secured to the stand with clamps but ever seen vinyl flex done this way.
Not worried about any crazy amount of flow. I will be running pumps in the display for majority of flow. I’ve got 1” return lines though. Those black pvc fittings should work though, as long as I can get a 1” to 3/4 lock line fitting.

as for securing the return lines, I’ve got them secured to the back of the stand and I’ll do the same up top at the canopy to prevent them from moving and coming off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 17
World Wide Corals

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently working on the return plumbing for a 90 gallon tank. It all will be external since I’m converting a durso to a herbie, so the return lines are going up the back and over.

My question is, what adapter would you use to go from the pvc pipe going up the back to get the water back into the tank?

I’ve seen stuff like this, but is this my best option? I’d have to get a barbed fitting on the end of the pvc and add a section or rubber hose to make that work. Any better options?
View attachment 3041616
I just made my own with 3 90's and loc line.
And since I already had knocked out the tab in the overflow, I returned it into the box and ran it back out where the tab was. All you see is the loc line coming into the tank.

OP
OP
M

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made my own with 3 90's and loc line.
And since I already had knocked out the tab in the overflow, I returned it into the box and ran it back out where the tab was. All you see is the loc line coming into the tank.
Never thought of this one. Bummer, I already got all my return lines in place and everything. I guess I could have just done one return line going up the back and into the overflow box. Could have split it right there and drilled a couple holes in the overflow so it comes out either direction there.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
M

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just hard plumb up the back and over the top. Paint the PVC black where it enters the water. Keep the output high (just below the waterline) to limit back siphon when return pump is off. View attachment 3041841

View attachment 3041847
Hard to tell from the pic, but is that return just an open 1” pvc? If so, any issues with anything going in there? I’d imagine it should be fine as long as there’s always flow coming out of it. I plan on running a low flow through mine so I would worry about something maybe swimming in there if it was just left open with no reduction to like a loc line

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s helpful you can also get 45 degree PVC elbows

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back