+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R folks,

I introduced this male wrasse about a month ago and it was doing great but I'm noticing it's swimming upright and hiding in the back for the past 4 days. I do have a territorial juvenile sailfin (tank boss) and I'm wondering if this pattern of swimming is due to stress or if it's a submissive behavior. I do see a white spot on its nose, I think it bumped or scratched somewhere but it's healing. Still feeding well, but not how it was feeding when I introduced it. It used to chase the food down but now much more slower. Any advise is greatly appreciated. I have also attached a small video clip hope it's working. Thank you

Avast
OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo and video, both under white light, will aid in diagnosis.
Hope the video is working, Im trying to get a clearer video.

Details:

Fish was purchased from a vendor that sells quarantined fish. They arrived healthy and all the fish in the system are quarantine. Tank is a Redsea 425 G2.

Tank Mates
Sailfin Tang Juvenile - Tank boss
Hawkfish
Tailspot blenny
dragonet
Pintail wrasse
watchman goby
Leopard wrasse

Parameters

Alk - 8.5
CA - 420
Mag - 1450
NO3 - 7
PO4 - 0.08
Temp - 77 - 78
Salinity 35 PPT on Hanna

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Its able to correct its swim position which suggests not a buoyancy issue but rather as you wondered- submissive. Due to length of video, I could not tell but how is the breathing rate and is fish eating normal?

OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its able to correct its swim position which suggests not a buoyancy issue but rather as you wondered- submissive. Due to length of video, I could not tell but how is the breathing rate and is fish eating normal?
Breathing rate seems to be normal, same rate as I observed when I introduced it to the tank. Swims up and stays with the rest of the fish during feedings but used to be much more aggressive during feedings when during the first week or two. I was watching the tank yesterday and I did notice few missing scales from a scrape. Only fish that bullied the wrasse during the initial introduction was the sailfin tang.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Breathing rate seems to be normal, same rate as I observed when I introduced it to the tank. Swims up and stays with the rest of the fish during feedings but used to be much more aggressive during feedings when during the first week or two. I was watching the tank yesterday and I did notice few missing scales from a scrape. Only fish that bullied the wrasse during the initial introduction was the sailfin tang.
Sailfins are intimidating and even nasty . Likely injury which can affect fish

OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfins are intimidating and even nasty . Likely injury which can affect fish
I agree, the sailfin is a total bully. Would you say its best I move the tang into the sump or timeout box, or should i consider completely getting rid of the tang? thank you

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I agree, the sailfin is a total bully. Would you say its best I move the tang into the sump or timeout box, or should i consider completely getting rid of the tang? thank you
If it were me, Id moved the tang to timeout for purpose of seeing if there is a true change in behavior in wrasse with its absence.

AS
OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, Id moved the tang to timeout for purpose of seeing if there is a true change in behavior in wrasse with its absence.
Thank you, I have a large intank acclimation box that should do the trick. Appreciate the advise.

OP
OP
T

tee89

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - As of today the wrasse is not feeding too well. I soaked some TDO pellets in vitachem and selcon then it fed on a few pellets. I was able to easily catch the wrasse and placed the it in an acclimation box and noticed while vertical started to spin around. Catching the tang was a failed attempt, waiting for a fish trap. I think the wrasse has a spinal injury because I do see an injured nose. I released the wrasse back into the tank, it was breathing hard.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back