Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen only one or two posts discussing ABC Reagent as an alternative reagent for the Trident, but it’s not discussed much and I haven’t seen a review.

I'm considering switching but I’m concerned of the results, if the trident doesn’t accurately test then it’s meaningless, and any money I save is worthless in comparison.

anyone have any experience with it and want to share their results?

I’d also be curious to know what it is, is someone just copying the Neptune reagent?

Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, even the bonafide Trident reagents drift between batches (and the calibration solution is borderline useless). I find that I often need to manually recalibrate whenever I switch out one or more reagent bottles.

I haven't used the "generic" stuff, but from what I understand - yes, they're basically (cheaper) copies of the Neptune reagents. Whether they're as accurate I couldn't honestly say. I don't think there's any harm in giving it a try in your Trident system, though.

You can also cut down on your reagent use by implementing a custom Trident schedule (many of us have).

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve seen only one or two posts discussing ABC Reagent as an alternative reagent for the Trident, but it’s not discussed much and I haven’t seen a review.

I'm considering switching but I’m concerned of the results, if the trident doesn’t accurately test then it’s meaningless, and any money I save is worthless in comparison.

anyone have any experience with it and want to share their results?

I’d also be curious to know what it is, is someone just copying the Neptune reagent?

Thanks!
Working good for me so far though I haven't had it long term. I see no difference.

Is it someone copying Neptune reagent? Pretty much if that's what you want to call it. It's more a scientist who took the reagents to his lab. Was able to ascertain exactly what was being used. He was disgusted with the markup and decided he would provide the exact same thing for half the cost. I think that's more accurate. Check out his livestream with Telegraham.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it someone copying Neptune reagent? Pretty much if that's what you want to call it. It's more a scientist who took the reagents to his lab. Was able to ascertain exactly what was being used. He was disgusted with the markup and decided he would provide the exact same thing for half the cost. I think that's more accurate. Check out his livestream with Telegraham.

TL; DR - reverse engineer

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it and can’t tell a difference. As far as I can tell it is exactly the same thing. Just make sure to keep some extra trident reagent bottles, because it doesn’t come in a bottle that fits into the trident.

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also cut down on your reagent use by implementing a custom Trident schedule (many of us have).
So I did do that, changed to 2/1/1 schedule to double the 6 month supply to 1 year. After about a year of that, what I’ve noticed is pretty large drift in tested values with the the 4 month span between calibration rather than 2 months.

If I could get calibration solution somewhere other than the 2 month reagent box, I’d just calibrate more frequently, but last time I calibrated my alk was 1.4dkh lower after calibrating.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I did do that, changed to 2/1/1 schedule to double the 6 month supply to 1 year. After about a year of that, what I’ve noticed is pretty large drift in tested values with the the 4 month span between calibration rather than 2 months.

If I could get calibration solution somewhere other than the 2 month reagent box, I’d just calibrate more frequently, but last time I calibrated my alk was 1.4dkh lower after calibrating.
Good point. I would definitely recommend purchasing this. I mean, what do you have to lose? $20? If you're in this hobby, I know you can spare $20.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just test my tank water multiple times with manual tests that I trust then calibrate the trident with my tanks water using the average of my manual tests.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also some reference solution that can be bought from Fauna Marin. I’ve never personally used it though.

Top Shelf Aquatics

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to calibrate either reagent sets keep a bottle of Fauna Marin multi reference solution. Good for 6 months after it is opened assuming the hobbyist caps it and stores it properly.

@Gtinnel my reply was in flight with yours. I keep Fauna Marin on hand, it works well both calibration and checks if needed. Not expensive either.

OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also some reference solution that can be bought from Fauna Marin. I’ve never personally used it though.
Yeah I haven’t either, but I’ve been recommended it. I need to check it out.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquarium Specialty
Back