Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in another section but am not getting as much attention as I hoped. I am starting a 72x18x22 125 gallon tank. One problem I am running in to is finding a light source to cover 72" of sand. I've decided for now that I want to go with possibly 2 or 3 Kessil"s. My question is would the maximum spread of only 60" be sufficient or should I really consider spending another $400 for the extra 20" of extra light I'd gain? Requesting any experience, pro's, cons, tips, with this set up.

Also curious with the controllability of having 3 separate lights. Does one controller work for all 3 units or would only one controller work per unit. And finally could you substitute Kessils controller with something like Reefkeeper Lite? Are they compatible?

Nutramar Foods

Hooloovoo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three Kessil A360s on my 60" long tank (60x22x22). Each one has an input and an output jack allowing you to daisy chain them together to a controller. I'm using the Neptune Apex. The cables are sold separately for about $20 apiece, but they are really just 3.5 mm stereo phone cables that you could get much cheaper. The cable that goes from the the Apex to the first Kessil in the chain has an RJ-45 connector on the controller's end, so you would have to either buy their $20 cable or find the wiring diagram and make your own if you use the Apex. I don't know about compatibility with the Reefkeeper Lite. Maybe someone else has some experience there.

As to whether these lights would be sufficient for your tank dimensions, I think it very much depends on what you plan to keep. I am hoping to keep SPS corals, and was not confident that the three Kessils would be sufficient on their own, so I added some retrofit T5s as well. I'm pretty happy with the look of the combo, but I haven't actually measured the par I'm getting out of it.

hartin461

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went with the 360 over my 72 x 24 x 18 tank and am using 3 of them. Got soft and lps corals along with a handful of sps. I`m just a struggling reefer tho... Nice coverage and things seem to be responding well. Went from AI sol blues that were failing.
I do have the sps higher in the tank as that seems to make sense and have the center light at 5% higher intensity.

OP
OP
s550

s550

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See im not worried so much about just quantity as I am overall cost AND coverage, I cant justify 1600$ on for the AP700's although that'd be nice! It seems finding that sweet spot between cost coverage and quality just isn't there.

I have three Kessil A360s on my 60" long tank (60x22x22). Each one has an input and an output jack allowing you to daisy chain them together to a controller. I'm using the Neptune Apex. The cables are sold separately for about $20 apiece, but they are really just 3.5 mm stereo phone cables that you could get much cheaper. The cable that goes from the the Apex to the first Kessil in the chain has an RJ-45 connector on the controller's end, so you would have to either buy their $20 cable or find the wiring diagram and make your own if you use the Apex. I don't know about compatibility with the Reefkeeper Lite. Maybe someone else has some experience there.

As to whether these lights would be sufficient for your tank dimensions, I think it very much depends on what you plan to keep. I am hoping to keep SPS corals, and was not confident that the three Kessils would be sufficient on their own, so I added some retrofit T5s as well. I'm pretty happy with the look of the combo, but I haven't actually measured the par I'm getting out of it.

So if I understand you correctly you can get 3 360's, buy the connects for $60 and link them?
Last question: would the wide lenses version of the 360 give a better coverage comparied to the narrow? They are the same price.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Mike.kel

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 running @ 40% over my 60" tank. Great coverage. Goes like this a350n-a350w-a350n. You might want to go with 4 narrow or 2 wides and one narrow or all 3 wides. I love love love my kessils. Also their customer service is great. Buy American, buy Kessil!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back