Existential Crisis Softie Tank, or Predator Tank?

rhitee93

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There!

I’m getting back into the hobby after a 20-year pause to grow some children. I’m currently waiting on a 48”x24”x24” 120 gallon tank from a custom tank builder to arrive, and have been piecing together the rest of the kit for my system.

I thought I was just going to do an invertebrate heavy tank as that is what I did before. However, what I have realized about myself is that I am attracted to weird stuff even if it has a spine, and I have been thinking more about the idea of a predator tank.

I’ve always loved eels, but completely dismissed any notion of keeping even a snowflake in such a small tank. I also think lionfish are cool, but also assumed that I would need a bigger tank. However, I’ve seen a number of apparently successful examples on this forum of both in similar sized tanks.

So, is this reasonable, or just foolish? I’m pretty sure the bigger Volitans are out of the question, but would a dwarf work? I’m not really particular about its tank mates, so I can be flexible on the stock list.

What about an eel? I had crossed that off the list, and was going to go with an engineer goby to scratch that itch. However, an eel would be a lot more fun.

A bit about me: I’m pretty accustomed to taking care of high maintenance flora/fauna. I’ve raised tortoises for years. I’m also into carnivorous plants. I’m more motivated by the higher level of care for predator fish than put off by it.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are some eels that would work. The dragon eel is smaller but pricey. The fimbriata (yellow headed morey) is one of my favorites and stays small but still would need larger tank mates as can eat smaller fish. Yes some of the smaller scorpion fish would be cool. @lion king seems to be the resident expert so he would probably know which would be compatible with tank size and eels.
In the title you said softies. I think you might get away with some softies corals. I have a toadstool and devils hand in with my thin lined puffer that he doesn’t bother. He has however done a stellar job of removing my cepistulara.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back