+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3165.JPG

I have only had this tank up for approximately 8 months and the Hammer and Frogspawn were 2 of the first corals I placed. In the past couple of weeks they have started looking more and more shriveled and sickly than I have ever seen them. The Bubble in the background is still looking healthy as well as Alveoporas, Zoas, Duncans, etc. all seem to be doing fine. Acroporas and Milliporas are even healthy and growing. Water parameters all check as "normal":
Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 9.2
Calcium: 458
Magnesium: 1280
Nitrates: 10.6
Phosphates: .08 (high but not outrageous)

My Diamond Goby has decided to build his nest (great pyramid) underneath but don't see why that would bother the Hammer or Frogspawn. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

fishski13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters seem normal except with phosphate, which sometimes causes many euphilliya problem. Also although these listed parameters can be normal, they are only as good as consistency especially with euphilliya. High phosphate and large changes in phosphate can cause euphilliya problems and sometimes altogether cause polyp bailout. Have you looked into using gfo or something similar to lower your phosphates?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RLucas50

RLucas50

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters seem normal except with phosphate, which sometimes causes many euphilliya problem. Also although these listed parameters can be normal, they are only as good as consistency especially with euphilliya. High phosphate and large changes in phosphate can cause euphilliya problems and sometimes altogether cause polyp bailout. Have you looked into using gfo or something similar to lower your phosphates?
Have used it in the past as when the dinos died out, nitrates and phosplates really spiked but stopped when the levels became acceptable as I didn't want to strip out nitrates and phosphates altogether. Might give that a try again. :)

Upvote 0

OldRed1

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if perhaps the growth of your corals is contributing to their sudden decline. Could there be a lack of sustaining nutrients in the tank as a consequence of the growing needs by these corals?

For example, I often see people keep their magnesium above 1400ppm. Perhaps increasing magnesium could help? Just a thought!

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2875419
I have only had this tank up for approximately 8 months and the Hammer and Frogspawn were 2 of the first corals I placed. In the past couple of weeks they have started looking more and more shriveled and sickly than I have ever seen them. The Bubble in the background is still looking healthy as well as Alveoporas, Zoas, Duncans, etc. all seem to be doing fine. Acroporas and Milliporas are even healthy and growing. Water parameters all check as "normal":
Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 9.2
Calcium: 458
Magnesium: 1280
Nitrates: 10.6
Phosphates: .08 (high but not outrageous)

My Diamond Goby has decided to build his nest (great pyramid) underneath but don't see why that would bother the Hammer or Frogspawn. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!
Po4 at 0.08 is just fine, especially with alk a little higher in the 9's.
Mag could use a bump. Have things been stable in alk and cal? Mag makes them more stable if it were 1350 and higher but no big deal where you are now unless alk and cal seem wonky.

Flow and lighting you didn't mention. What are they like?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RLucas50

RLucas50

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers are fine. Have you done a recent ICP to check all your trace? What light and par are you using?
Haven't done an ICP but considering it. PAR is 125 where the Hammer sits. Flow is just enough to cause them to sway a bit occasionally. Both of those haven't changed in the past few months.

Upvote 0

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't done an ICP but considering it. PAR is 125 where the Hammer sits. Flow is just enough to cause them to sway a bit occasionally. Both of those haven't changed in the past few months.
I would consider it. Things like iron or iodine might be off. Also perhaps a dip for pests. Euphyllia are prone to bacteria infection also. You can frag off infected head to save coral or I have used ciprofloaxin in my tank to treat it.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back