Euphyllia hate F-aiptasia or palythoa killed by F-aiptasia?

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using F-aiptasia to try and clear a rock of green palythoa that overrun everything else. Trying to do only 10ish polyps at a time, just covering the disk. I notice that they do ooze a little.

Anyway, I've had massive problems with my hammer and octospawn since starting this regimen--disclaimer, there are other problems in the tank like my torch that bleached, change in salt and fixing ALK/nutrients swings.

But here are photos around F-aiptasia treatment of green palythoa. First, pic of what the palys look like:
PXL_20221220_180421630.jpg

Nice looking--I like them in fact--but they overtake everything.

And this is the rock that I'm treating. You can see some of the globs of F-aiptasia from yesterday's treatment and the first treatment about 2 weeks ago:
PXL_20221220_180437981.jpg

This is my hammer and octospawn the day after the first F-aiptasia treatment:
PXL_20221214_204235589.jpg

This is the hammer and octo yesterday after about 2 weeks of water change and TLC, but right before the second F-aiptasia treatment:
PXL_20221220_003106244.jpg

And this is from this morning, about 16 hours after F-aiptasia treatment:
PXL_20221220_175918082.jpg

While I can't be 100% sure, it seems that there's a direct effect of the F-aiptasia treatment on green palythoas and the hammer/octospawn happiness index. Note that other corals and macroalgae seem to be unaffected.

Do you think the F-aiptasia in a 10 gallon tank is causing a water chemistry change that the euphyllia don't like? Or do you think that treating the palythoa is causing them to release palytoxins that the euphyllia don't like? I haven't noticed any problems with the other inhabitants like blenny, firefish, emerald, sexies or porcelains--but might just be that I would only notice a lethal dose of palytoxin in them...

At this point, I think stopping in-tank treatment of the green palys is probably the best course of action. Or maybe just one polyp per day and adding more carbon?

Thanks!

Nutramar Foods

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you kill something that produces toxins or damages them - you're going to have problems. I do not think it's a good idea to use that product to kill Zoas. The best way to do that. is to take the rock they are on out of your tank - and donate it to your LFS (for credit). It is IMHO - extremely dangerous (i.e. to try to kill them) as compared to just getting the rock out. The toxins they release can not only harm your corals but you as well.

But - at this point - I would suggest a lot of Carbon (activated) - of high quality - and or water changes. As was as not using the product you are.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
GHL Advanced Technology
Back