Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’m a little confused on what is now going on with my tank.

I’ve had some problems the last year or so but everything seemed to be going good recently after I added some corals (Duncan, hammer and a red Goni). Alk has been stable at 8-8.5 depending on when I test which use to be a big problem for me but is now stable. All other parameters are as followed

Alk 8.3
Calc 440
Mag 1440
Phos .07
Nitrate 1-3
Ph 8
Temp 80F

Here is my light settings which I haven’t touched in quite awhile (at least a year)
2570D18B-74F0-40E6-9E3B-2E61D5CA5896.jpeg

Here’s what the euphyllia look like
77E73973-8158-48B1-B7BE-02E251CFD338.jpeg
83031CD2-4282-40CB-A957-01F8F2D35E26.jpeg
The red Goni is just not opening up at all. I’ll get a little extension early in the day then it shrinks. Clowns where trying to live in it but no luck.

All other corals are doing fine. A few acans that have sat dormant for over a year are starting to grow new heads. Rock flowers are getting bigger and Duncan is growing new heads constantly. I started running carbon last night to try and help but nada I have some chemi pure blue on hand but I don’t know if that’s the right move.

I’m at a loss on this one and looking for some help. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, is temp an issue ?
have you tried fresh carbon ,possible contaminate ?
Sorry temp is the same 80f which I’ve ran for 2 years or so. Carbon is brand new from last night.
Not sure about the Euphilia but the Goni needs iron, and lots of it. I supplement heavy to ensure polyp extension and growth.
Didn’t know this! Will try and find iron test and see if I need some.

DarkReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Euphilia, check that you don't have flat worms or any pests on them.
When I first started having issues with mine (a year or so ago), my tank was mostly stable but they'd suck themselves up etc. Turned out there were flatworms on their skeletons agitating them.
If you happen to find them, also check for eggs because they lay a lot of them. Will need a toothbrush to scrub them off.

Took me 3-4 attempts to clear them off.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Euphilia, check that you don't have flat worms or any pests on them.
When I first started having issues with mine (a year or so ago), my tank was mostly stable but they'd suck themselves up etc. Turned out there were flatworms on their skeletons agitating them.
If you happen to find them, also check for eggs because they lay a lot of them. Will need a toothbrush to scrub them off.

Took me 3-4 attempts to clear them off.
No flatworms but I do see a few bugs which I assume are copepods though

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a step back, how long have the new Euphyllia and Goni been in the tank - are they the new corals you added?
Goni is about 3 months old has been happy since day one. All euphyllia are 1-3 years old.
didn’t see a salinity posted. Any chance that has fluctuated?
Didn’t think about salinity. But just checked and it’s 1.025 so good there also.

I’m prepping 10 gallons of water for water changes and hopefully that helps I don’t want to lose the pink hammer it was one of my first corals!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Joe's Coral Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing a water change tonight and then another one on Monday to see if that helps. I will run an icp too I have a test in my kit I can send out before the water change.
If they are struggling due to low nutrients the water change isn't going to help. Maybe trying coral food with amino acids? I feed my frogspawn and goni. my frogspawn like chopped up meaty foods.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are struggling due to low nutrients the water change isn't going to help. Maybe trying coral food with amino acids? I feed my frogspawn and goni. my frogspawn like chopped up meaty foods.
I don’t think this is the case. Just came home and one hammer is completely dead and other head is going. All other ones that have looked bad aren’t doing any better. Other corals still doing fine.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back