Eshopps overflow vs buying another tank.

arrow crab

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been slowly acquiring the parts for a 40B. I've got the skimmer, heater, powerheads, etc.

I also got this Eshopps 800 I think it is. They discontinued them right after I bought it. It has a smokey colored u-tube and extremely vague instructions on how to get the siphon started. Something involving sticking another plastic hose (not included) halfway into the u-tube. What? What sized hose?

The tank is aqueon of course. So I'll have to buy a different tank if I want a drilled one. I've already built a 20 gallon sump.

If I can make the overflow work I'd rather do that than shop around for a different 40B. Can you get them pre drilled?

Last edited:
BRS

Rubymoon286

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Eshopps overflows - you put the air tube into the U on the side you want to be your drain and suck it hard like a straw to start the siphon -- the harder you draw water in the more likely you are to get a full siphon going. Once the siphon flows you need to raise the air hose above the siphon level or it will start spewing water. I usually leave the airhose in to restart the siphon if it needs to be (which it eventually will, and it lets you restart it at full speed if for whatever reason it slows down)

Ultimately, I switched to a drilled tank, but it did work for a couple of years until I swapped to drilled only, and it was a cheaper "in" to the hobby than buying a drilled tank to start out.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ yes. This. I use the air hose but pull it after though. The siphon hasn't stopped for at least 6 months for me... Once it starts flowing look from the side and manipulate the u tube position until you get the best flow (you'll see how it changes) and then never touch it lol

Top Shelf Aquatics

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the standard airline tubing. Push it in until it goes just past the arch in the U then suck. I also stuck about 3 feet of airline down the drain line, leaving about 6-8 inches out of the water and clipped it in place (so it doesn't fall into the drain) and that made it nearly silent. That tube lives there from now on..

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External overflow is OK as long as you don't have power outage, which will brake the syphon and cause flooding. Been there, seen that.
If you have frequent power outages, I would drill tank or buy a new one.

Nutramar Foods

Rubymoon286

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can kill the power. Siphon doesn't break... I did however implement a float to kill my return pump if it gets too low so if that ever happened it won't keep pumping and overflow the dt. Something to consider for sure
I did this too - and had water alarms because my float switch failed one night and the tank itself overflowed and caused a small electrical fire (thank god for my dog, I was able to catch it because he was barking up a storm and only my power strip was damaged and my stand a little charred) But that was the only outright failure I had though - I was thankful for the water alarms for peace of mind though and still have them despite upgrading the tank itself.

Top Shelf Aquatics

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's a good dog! Glad nothing serious happened.

Definitely CYA with safeties if you can. I was worried about it for a bit but tbh it works so good (for me at least) I've stopped. I use a piggyback float fwiw. I kill my return every time I feed (3x a day) and fire it up without any issues whatsoever... Maybe not the best setup (I would have drilled if I knew then what I know now; watched it done a bunch now) but certainly works well imo

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back