Equipment used in fish store store water ? Is it safe to use in marine tank ?

Ecotech Marine

furface

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya, dropped a Googely when setting up a temp tank while waiting for the main tank to cycle. Bought some fish and placed them in a temp tank that was pretty nearly 75litres, thought to myself mmmm, the waters not going in the main tank so I may as well just put the fish and water in the temp tank as they were in medicated water. Probably only 3 litres in total.
is it inwiae to use the equipment in the main tank ? Even with a clean ? Would a vortech absorb the copper then leach it back out ? What about a glass eheim heater ?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
furface

furface

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the ratio (3 liters to 75 liters), I would think you'd be fine reusing the equipment after a thorough clean/soak (EzeClean, vinegar, etc.) Others might have some more insight as to potential metal retention.
I’m of the same opinion. Just want to gauge others opinions on the matter. Thanks for taking the time to reply fella

AS

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a similar, but maybe more extreme situation, I had a hospital tank with full copper and now want to repurpose the equipment to a tank with invertebrates. Fortunately, it’s not the main equipment for it so I’m just going to stick it in a 5 gallon bucket with some curpisorb and run it for a day or two and test for copper at the end before using it.

I don’t think plastic really absorbs metals, but I could be wrong, just clean it hood and run something that pulls copper out of the water for a day or two and it should be fine

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good cleaning and should be fine.
Glass heater will not absorb anything. Plastic, maybe. But a good cleaning will only leave trace amounts if any. I have cleaned pumps and used them in display in the past.
Don't use vinagar on plastic pumps. Citric acid is much better.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back