Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in making a model of a local landmark, an arch at the local university. And getting motipora to encrust on it and have a tank decoration, with our local "landmark".

I have an easy time growing the montipora that I am thinking of using, it even grows on the glass of my tank, in less than 8 months since I moved the tank (see photo1). If I can make the forms easily, I may try getting one or two to be covered with green star polyps instead of the montipora.

I would like a 3d model of the arch 4" or so tall (see photo2).

What would be the best material to use to make the arch to be non-toxic, and allow for the easiest/fastest coral growth?

I can think of using
1. 3D Printed plastic (food grade/nontoxic)
2. Blown Glass
3. Ceramic/Pottery (glazed or unglazed)
4. Cement or plaster from a mold.

Has anyone tried something similar to this? I have seen pics of skulls that people have got corals to encrust but not much in terms of pitfalls how to do it. I expect it to take several months to get good growth to cover it.

What would be the best material to use? I expect to get help from a local artist to actually make the coral form. I expect some sort of pottery may be the best bet, as plaster or cement may be too fragile given the shape, and glass or 3d printing may get expensive.

Are there any types of clays to use or avoid to keep things non-toxic? I know practically nothing about pottery.

If I can get it to work, I think I could sell or trade them to many locals in my University town.

97B1B41D-187F-4086-8633-15AAF98D6828.jpeg arch2.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

PigDaddyF15E

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would work
2. I don't know if it's too "smooth"...but coral probably would encrust
3. Unglazed might work...but I don't know what other types of stuff might be hiding in potters clay
4. Best option I think

That's montipora?....pic looks more like Cyphastera to me

Nutramar Foods

Ober_Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely cyphastrea and not Montipora but I was actually going to say cyphastrea has been the one I have seen people do stuff like this with before. I believe ceramic is the most common used and I believe there are small businesses that make ceramic items(skulls, octopuses, and marvel characters are what I have seen) just for this purpose. I would try googling figures for encrusting corals or something similar. Looks cool, best of luck !

Nutramar Foods
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back