Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dear. Woke up early hours to the sound of flowing water. My RS350 is gushing water from the front corner!!! Only setup for 2 months.
I have put my lifestick and a few pieces of dry rock from the display tank into the sump. Heater and 1 powerhead in for now.
Plan once LFS open? Buy a small tank to home the fish and hope they can survive?
Over time can the rock and sand be reused?
See if I can order just the RS350 tank to go back on top

BRS
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
F

Flea78

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my first rodeo and was always worried the difficulty of hobby might ultimately be my downfall. Never expected this may be the reason to stop. So once I have a small 25lt+ tank I will transfer a bit of sand, live rock, heater and a powerhead. RS tanks have a 7-14 day lead time. I will have to hope I can keep fish going until then.

CLICK TO VIEW

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my first rodeo and was always worried the difficulty of hobby might ultimately be my downfall. Never expected this may be the reason to stop. So once I have a small 25lt+ tank I will transfer a bit of sand, live rock, heater and a powerhead. RS tanks have a 7-14 day lead time. I will have to hope I can keep fish going until then.

Buying a used tank is a huge gamble. You only have the previous owner’s word that the tank was well-cared for. You should check the corner where it leaked to see if he did a patch job of some sort to sell the tank.

OP
OP
F

Flea78

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a used tank is a huge gamble. You only have the previous owner’s word that the tank was well-cared for. You should check the corner where it leaked to see if he did a patch job of some sort to sell the tank.
It looked fine and it was from someone we knew in our village. Other than the risk I guess of me transporting tank, but who knows what triggered. I do get your point on used, a costly lesson learnt. It was going so well, was into the ugly stage and seemed to be managing ok

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
F

Flea78

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question. I have a crate with lid that is holding sand and dry (2 month old) rock in tank water. Estimate at least 2 weeks before a new tank. Will this be ok in there. My other rock/ sand is in the temp display tank

Corals.com

malacoda

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the crate will work fine as long as you keep it heated, just like you did your tank. And as long as you put a powerhead or two in it to create flow, just like you did in your tank.

If you have coral, if they are going to be in the crate for more than a week, see if you can find a way to suspend your light above it as well.

Since you won't have a skimmer or any other mechanical filtration on the crate, it would be a good idea to try to do at least a 10% water change every week. 20% or more would be better.

And, when you fill it, use tape or a marking pen or something to mark the water line. When the water level drops 2 or 3 cm below the line, top off with RODI back up to the line.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question. I have a crate with lid that is holding sand and dry (2 month old) rock in tank water. Estimate at least 2 weeks before a new tank. Will this be ok in there. My other rock/ sand is in the temp display tank
Depends on material of tank but most plastic containers are fine.

I had a similar thing happen a few months ago. Tank leaked. No hope of quick replacement. Depending on where you are…we bought a Rubbermaid stock tank from tractor supply (but they can be found elsewhere). It was $100 for 100 gallons and we used that to keep everything alive. People use these tanks as frag tanks and things so the answer to your question is indefinitely.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

GHL Advanced Technology
Back