Emergency! Pump broke! Oil in Tank!

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short. Last night the pump died and took out the power with it. When it was turned back on, something in the pump blew. Now I have motor oil from the pump in the sump. Not sure about the main display.

I’ve used a shop vac to take out what I can but I’m still worried about the tank. Pump came with the tank. I do not know what kind of pump it is or if the oil in it is “safe.”

What else can I do to prevent more damage?

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short. Last night the pump died and took out the power with it. When it was turned back on, something in the pump blew. Now I have motor oil from the pump in the sump. Not sure about the main display.

I’ve used a shop vac to take out what I can but I’m still worried about the tank. Pump came with the tank. I do not know what kind of pump it is or if the oil in it is “safe.”

What sort of pump are you using? I'm not aware of any aquatic pumps that use any kind of oil or lubrication

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of pump are you using? I'm not aware of any aquatic pumps that use any kind of oil or lubrication
I just posted pictures. I forgot to include them in the original post. It smells like burnt plastic/oil.
image.jpg

It’s left behind a black residue.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danner pumps look to be oil free? Did you buy the pump used?
*Edit* sounds like the power unit blew through the epoxy casing. There isn't oil in them, but sounds like some nasty stuff could come loose.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeaaaa I would do a BUNCH of water changes....

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“ They feature a magnet impeller assembly 
and an epoxy encased power unit ensuring that water never gets contaminated with harmful oils or chemicals.”

So perhaps the epoxy leaked/broke?

I would drain the compartment it is in out, wipe it all out with paper towels, maybe a little vinegar. Then I would run come carbon when you bring a new pump back online.

If you don’t get the pump for a few days and the water sits stagnant. I would change everything in all compartments of the sump.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danner pumps look to be oil free? Did you buy the pump used?
*Edit* sounds like the power unit blew through the epoxy casing. There IS oil in them.
There is no oil, just. Copper. Iron, epoxy and other plastics. That mess is likely the results of a short in the windings.

OP, run carbon and do a water change.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I’ll need to head to a petco or petsmart to grab some carbon since my LFS is closed. Any recommendations on where I should put it?
In a reactor if you got one.. if not a bag in a high flow area such as a filter socks etc.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah like they said this is a magnetic drive pump. NO oil in it . Impeller likely stopped/seized causing heat . Some melted material. I have had many of these and usually they just stop and swell.
Run carbon

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can relax.

First, the oil floats on the top of the water. This means that everything will collect in the sump.

The return pump won't pick it up and put it back in to the display. And if any is in the display, it will get skimmed off the water and end up in the sump.

Continue manual removal from the sump and run carbon.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is a Danner Mag Drive Pond Pump.

It must be an old model. I have two, one is the original pump for my first tank. I've never seen this before.

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can relax.

First, the oil floats on the top of the water. This means that everything will collect in the sump.

The return pump won't pick it up and put it back in to the display. And if any is in the display, it will get skimmed off the water and end up in the sump.

Continue manual removal from the sump and run carbon.
I’m more worried at this point about the plastic bits I missed getting into the display. I’m rinsing some activated carbon now. I’m going to add it to the tank as soon as the powder stops rinsing off.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back