Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I just let my 5 dwarf hermit crabs into my tank and right away one of the hermit crabs got out of its shell. I tried to nudge it back to him as he’s exploring the tank but he keeps leaving it. I do have extra shells but they are all bigger and he is quite small. I have no idea what to do and my local fish store said that there wasn’t much to do about it as they have a mind of their own.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
71D90384-6E8A-4EE8-B64F-3BA3533215EE.jpeg
He’s very tiny probably have to look closely

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I just let my 5 dwarf hermit crabs into my tank and right away one of the hermit crabs got out of its shell. I tried to nudge it back to him as he’s exploring the tank but he keeps leaving it. I do have extra shells but they are all bigger and he is quite small. I have no idea what to do and my local fish store said that there wasn’t much to do about it as they have a mind of their own.
View attachment 1888570
He'll find a hiding place and be ok.

AquaCave Logo Banner
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It must be a full moon, mine just did the same thing! Unfortunately, he seemed to be tumbling around in some corner flow. I moved a couple shells near him... :(
Ugh, hopefully he gets back in a shell. I would try to separate him from the rest of the tank as mine did not last long with 3 shrimp. I regret not just separating him and leaving him with a shell.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Let it do its' thing naturally. Nudging back rarely encourages it to go back but rather run for cover and get stressed out. It may not do a thing until lights out when it feels safe.

AquaCave Logo Banner

flairbear04

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they get out of their shell to molt. I have many hermit crabs and have never actually seen the process. I only find bodies lying around haha. When I first discovered one of the "bodies" when I got my first hermit crab I was CERTAIN he was dead because he was hiding in his shell and I couldn't see the opening. Then, I found him climbing up a rock later on and I was like "how'd you come back to life!!" I looked it up and I was like oh. Lol anyway I hope your little hermie is okay. I know I'm a little late

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back