Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting everything set up on my new Red Sea 300XL G2 and I swear my emergency drain line is lower than my main drain line. This isn’t suppose to be like this right?
7B1AC6D3-4147-4110-8DF0-480C088E4CC4.jpeg

3142C5E3-0A2A-46D9-9DE0-3015CE72F3F4.jpeg

65997528-97CF-4907-BF05-076EB4CB3736.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you circle what is wrong? i am assuming that the red one is what the problem but i dont have a red sea so i am not used to those.
This is my first Red Sea so I am new to this, but the main drain is on the far right and the emergency drain is in the middle (red pipe). The top of the main drain is slightly higher than the emergency drain it seems so it appears all of the water would bypass the main drain and come down the emergency drain unless I’m missing something

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am assuming that it would be like that... it makes sense to me
Maybe my brain just isn’t working properly after the week but wouldn’t you want your emergency drain pipe to be higher than your normal drain pipe. That way in normal conditions your water would be draining through the intended path? And then if the normal drain pipe got clogged the display water level would rise and the water would drain down the emergency. If the emergency pipe is lower then the main drain line, water would never go down the main line I don’t think

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe my brain just isn’t working properly after the week but wouldn’t you want your emergency drain pipe to be higher than your normal drain pipe. That way in normal conditions your water would be draining through the intended path? And then if the normal drain pipe got clogged the display water level would rise and the water would drain down the emergency. If the emergency pipe is lower then the main drain line, water would never go down the main line I don’t think

The main drain is fed from below not the top. You want to set the water level just below the emergency drain to keep noise at a minimum. Image below
Congrats on the new tank. I just set mine up a few days ago. Not my first but my second redsea tank. The new drain valve seem to be much better than the old style on my 170. It needs tweaking often it seems like. I haven't had to touch this once after setting it originally.
drain.jpg

This is mine. I'm taking many photos of the process to replace my pitiful first build thread.
reefer 300.jpg

OP
OP
Zach W

Zach W

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main drain is fed from below not the top. You want to set the water level just below the emergency drain to keep noise at a minimum. Image below
Congrats on the new tank. I just set mine up a few days ago. Not my first but my second redsea tank. The new drain valve seem to be much better than the old style on my 170. It needs tweaking often it seems like. I haven't had to touch this once after setting it originally. View attachment 3047903

This is mine. I'm taking many photos of the process to replace my pitiful first build thread. View attachment 3047907
Thank you! This makes way more sense now. I’m coming from a 20gal AIO, but I haven’t had any tank for ~3yrs, so plumbing and sumps and all that is a new journey for me. I’m sure I will have a lot of dumb questions along the way, thanks again

Last edited:
World Wide Corals

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! This makes way more sense now. I’m coming from a 20gal AIO, but I haven’t had any tank for ~3hrs, so plumbing and sumps and all that is a new journey for me. I’m sure I will have a lot of dumb questions along the way, thanks again
Your more than welcome. Feel free to ask any questions at all and I'll do my best to help out. I think redsea makes a great setup for anyone who wants all they need in one package and not have to figure out plumbing and calculating sump volume etc.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tank Stop
Back