Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added 2 female emerald crabs to my tank to help with a little bubble algae. Few days later I found one dead and have not seen the other for 24 hours. I know they hide well. For some reason I seem to have trouble keeping these guys. I have inverts in my tank that have been with me for 1.5 years. Cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, peppermint, hermits, urchins, tons of snails. I seem to provide a perfect invert environment yet emerald crabs don't survive very long. I'm not sure if another invert or a wrasse is taking them out but I doubt it.

Am I missing something about emerald crab care? Last 2 I got lasted 4 months.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if there is something different with these emeralds of the past few years. They used to be so durable. I added 5-6 to combat bubble alges 6 months ago. Bubble algae was gone. So were the crabs. I had a C. isosceles at the time but doubt it was an issue.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have enough algae for them to eat? I have four and they seem to constantly be scraping gha off the rocks and eating detritus from the sand. I have seen some territorial behavior but mostly bluffing and I have never read of one killing another.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have enough algae for them to eat? I have four and they seem to constantly be scraping gha off the rocks and eating detritus from the sand. I have seen some territorial behavior but mostly bluffing and I have never read of one killing another.
Well I was hoping they would eat the bubble algae but there is green film algae on the rocks too. I have a lot of algae eaters but none of them seem to go hungry at all.

Corals.com
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if there is something different with these emeralds of the past few years. They used to be so durable. I added 5-6 to combat bubble alges 6 months ago. Bubble algae was gone. So were the crabs. I had a C. isosceles at the time but doubt it was an issue.
I dont think it's an acclimation issue with mine because my LFS has very similar parameters to my tank. It's only these inverts that I have had trouble with.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Leg Hermits will attack the Emeralds when they molt. I got the Red Legs, from someone who over ordered them. Big mistake, as they also went after my Blue Legs, and Nassarius Snails.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Leg Hermits will attack the Emeralds when they molt. I got the Red Legs, from someone who over ordered them. Big mistake, as they also went after my Blue Legs, and Nassarius Snails.
Well this is an old thread but my emeralds did not last long. I think one of my wrasses is whacking them but I have scarlet hermits too.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaNerd
Back