+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

Now I have a problem. Eheim 3400 submersed in water works for 10 seconds then seems to be going on and off. Sprays water for a second then off then back on and after a few minutes the pump goes dead. I opened it and notices one teeth of the impeller is missing/broken. Now the impeller in India is very expensive and no Eheim service centres as they are imported from abroad. Pls guide if this issue is due to the impeller or something else with the machine because I don’t want to waste money on the impeller if something else is the issue. Eheim customer support by email is horrible. No response. So out of frustration I pulled out another brand new Eheim 600 universal pump from my cupboard, submersed in water and connected it. Worked for 2 minutes and then stopped and there was a strong burning smell. After that the machine was hot. I offed it and waited for 2 hours. The machine is dead since then. I am not new to pumps as I have my aquarium run successfully with Jebao but I need help as to what is happening and what needs to be done. My power supply is also perfect as all other equipments work perfectly. Also pls note the dry run is not the issue because both the machines were submersed in water by me to avoid any undue incidents. Now I have tried over 4/5 days and the same thing. I have given up. Experts pls help me. Thanks.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it odd that the second one did the same thing? Could it be a problem with the plug in? I know you said other equipment works on it but I meant that actual exact outlet.

I have a Eheim return pump that has been in use for 7 years. My understanding is these are known to be quality pumps. Lemons happen anywhere but two?

Were they bought brand new or used?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

rah_reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, tried in different outlets. Don’t know how it has happened. I wanted to know for the 3400, should I invest in a new impeller or the problem is still going to persist. I mean anyone with experience should be able to guide me with this and any hope with the 600 as the burning smell is gone but still dead.

OP
OP
R

rah_reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the first one goes on and off. After 5-10 minutes again the same thing pumping water on and off after every 10 minutes so the machine is not dead. It just doesn’t pump. I wonder if the broken teeth on the impeller could be the issue. Yes, The Eheim 600 burning smell and dead ever since. Just worked for 2 dam minutes the 600. Power supply and outlets are in service since years without issues. I have been in the hobby for the past 20 years. Ofcourse Eheim is not as solid as before, 2 canister filters gave up in 3 years since some time now and the air pump didn't even last a year. I understand this could be a shift in quality due to the changing prices and competition etc but it’s horrible to have 2 machines failing within a day. Pls guide.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the ceramic shaft that runs through the impeller assembly in good order? The impeller being broken or having teeth missing will cause an imbalance which will definitely cause you trouble. Also check the small rubber bungs at the end of the impeller than hold it in place are still in place and correctly seated.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello.

Now I have a problem. Eheim 3400 submersed in water works for 10 seconds then seems to be going on and off. Sprays water for a second then off then back on and after a few minutes the pump goes dead. I opened it and notices one teeth of the impeller is missing/broken. Now the impeller in India is very expensive and no Eheim service centres as they are imported from abroad. Pls guide if this issue is due to the impeller or something else with the machine because I don’t want to waste money on the impeller if something else is the issue. Eheim customer support by email is horrible. No response. So out of frustration I pulled out another brand new Eheim 600 universal pump from my cupboard, submersed in water and connected it. Worked for 2 minutes and then stopped and there was a strong burning smell. After that the machine was hot. I offed it and waited for 2 hours. The machine is dead since then. I am not new to pumps as I have my aquarium run successfully with Jebao but I need help as to what is happening and what needs to be done. My power supply is also perfect as all other equipments work perfectly. Also pls note the dry run is not the issue because both the machines were submersed in water by me to avoid any undue incidents. Now I have tried over 4/5 days and the same thing. I have given up. Experts pls help me. Thanks.
That impeller is your issue and often the case with any pump. Eheim is an excellent unit and I ran one for 6 years, sold it with a tank and last i knew, it ran another 3 years. Something likley got ingested to damage the blades such as a pebble or snail and assure intake is guarded against ability to pull these objects in. An upgrade would be Sicce pumps which are guarded, super quiet and reliable

OP
OP
R

rah_reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I think i will have to invest in an impeller but what about the Eheim universal 600. New packed piece, unboxed it and it worked so well but for 2 minutes abs burnt out dead. This is very very strange. Don’t know what needs to be done.

OP
OP
R

rah_reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the ceramic shaft that runs through the impeller assembly in good order? The impeller being broken or having teeth missing will cause an imbalance which will definitely cause you trouble. Also check the small rubber bungs at the end of the impeller than hold it in place are still in place and correctly seated.
Yes, all is perfect and in good order.

Nutramar Foods
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back