Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am concerned that adding as much as 10% of my tank's water volume as RODI top off water weekly will result in the accumulation of some undesirable substances over the long haul. I do a 10% water change every week but adding back RODI water to make up for 10% evaporation loss makes me want to rethink allowing that much evaporation to take place. I monitor my RODI water for TDS and am good about replacing resin for my meter to read "0" TDS. But it seems like such a large amount of water to be continually adding that I am wondering what and how much accumulation of TDS (comprised of who knows what) is accumulating in a system that operates this way for a year, 5 years, 10 years, etc.

In your view am I chasing a minor issue, or is this something worth considering for the long term health of my corals?

Avast

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is not impossible for RO/DI water to contain problematic ions, this concern is generally not significant if the effluent is 0-1 ppm TDS.

Seawater has more like 35,000 ppm TDS of various ions. A little bit more is not a concern, and in terms of alternatives, there really are not any that are always better. :)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back