Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Had an emerald crab for half a year. He was very healthy, molted a few times. I then found him dead (not a molt). So saturday I got two new small emeralds. Found one dead, again not a molt, this morning. What is going on? Water is good. All my fish, shrimp, hermits and sea hare are doing good. I dont have anything that eats crabs in the tank. I do have a lot of zoas and added about 5 bubble nems to the tank a few weeks ago (from another tank breakdown and had no where else to put them). Anyone have any idea whats going on? Again its not water, all other animals are in perfect health.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey all. Had an emerald crab for half a year. He was very healthy, molted a few times. I then found him dead (not a molt). So saturday I got two new small emeralds. Found one dead, again not a molt, this morning. What is going on? Water is good. All my fish, shrimp, hermits and sea hare are doing good. I dont have anything that eats crabs in the tank. I do have a lot of zoas and added about 5 bubble nems to the tank a few weeks ago (from another tank breakdown and had no where else to put them). Anyone have any idea whats going on? Again its not water, all other animals are in perfect health.
How are you acclimating them?
Also assure calcium levels are in normal range and nitrates are not elevated due to false readings

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
From their bag water? No I did not
An acclimation with them is of importance. They are hardy but also sensitive to sudden changes . Best is to empty the crabs and contents into a bucket and add a cup of water or drip until the volume is doubled and check the salinity and ph in bucket until it matches that of tank its going into

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An acclimation with them is of importance. They are hardy but also sensitive to sudden changes . Best is to empty the crabs and contents into a bucket and add a cup of water or drip until the volume is doubled and check the salinity and ph in bucket until it matches that of tank its going into
I did have an emerald for a couple months who died recently. Could it have been my nems? Added them recently

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I did have an emerald for a couple months who died recently. Could it have been my nems? Added them recently
nems would have dragged them into mouth
While they can sting, not likely with shells

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back