Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5-gallon tank that was quarantine but I never added cooper. I really want to do something with it. I’m think maybe some dwarf seahorses. If anyone else has any ideas for a nano/pico tank I’m open to them. How do I deal with the heater issue if a tank isn’t AIO? Who has experience keeping seahorses?

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer is yes. What's the heater issue exactly?
So I know they hitch a ride on things and can burn themselves if the heater is in the tank uncovered. I’m wondering if there’s specific guards made for them or if anyone has any experience. But maybe this will work?
IMG_0099.png

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a 5 gallon is perfect for dwarf seahorses and they actually do not need a heater. I kept greater seahorses but I acquired a dwarf once in a shipment of grass shrimp that I bought to feed my seahorses. I kept the dwarf in a vase with just an aerator pump and some macro algae.

The biggest challenge with dwarf ponies is the constant hatching of live baby brine shrimp. They will not eat any prepared foods and so some sort of live food must be given to them, either pods or newly hatched bbs. Its rigorous and becomes tiring, especially if you want to go on vacation. Not just any fish sitter is willing to hatch and clean live food for your seahorses.

However they are very charming pets.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept dwarf seahorses successfully for several years and thru several generations. I had a 24g corner tank. I sectioned the back of the tank off and turned it into a refugium packed with chaeto. I seeded with some pods. And I ended up with a cute lil seahorse tank that required no care on my part. It was an interesting little tank in that it stayed very clean, it took no time from me at all. It looked like an empty planted tank, till you got right infront of it and saw a dwarf seahouse attached to a piece of chaeto or caluerpa. Then you start looking around and discover there are 30-50 of them in the tank. And when they have babies -- Oh My God- So frickin tiny. Look like baby brine shrimp.

My point before my long telling of a tale was what if you add on a refugium to your lil tank you can create a sustainable food source for the dwarf seahorses and make their lives better and your life a lot less work.

Dave B

Top Shelf Aquatics

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept dwarf seahorses successfully for several years and thru several generations. I had a 24g corner tank. I sectioned the back of the tank off and turned it into a refugium packed with chaeto. I seeded with some pods. And I ended up with a cute lil seahorse tank that required no care on my part. It was an interesting little tank in that it stayed very clean, it took no time from me at all. It looked like an empty planted tank, till you got right infront of it and saw a dwarf seahouse attached to a piece of chaeto or caluerpa. Then you start looking around and discover there are 30-50 of them in the tank. And when they have babies -- Oh My God- So frickin tiny. Look like baby brine shrimp.

My point before my long telling of a tale was what if you add on a refugium to your lil tank you can create a sustainable food source for the dwarf seahorses and make their lives better and your life a lot less work.

Dave B
Do you have pics of that tank?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a 5 gallon is perfect for dwarf seahorses and they actually do not need a heater. I kept greater seahorses but I acquired a dwarf once in a shipment of grass shrimp that I bought to feed my seahorses. I kept the dwarf in a vase with just an aerator pump and some macro algae.

The biggest challenge with dwarf ponies is the constant hatching of live baby brine shrimp. They will not eat any prepared foods and so some sort of live food must be given to them, either pods or newly hatched bbs. Its rigorous and becomes tiring, especially if you want to go on vacation. Not just any fish sitter is willing to hatch and clean live food for your seahorses.

However they are very charming pets.
Thank you!!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aqua SD
Back