Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this duncan with two heads about 8 months ago and its up to seven heads. A couple of the babies are against the rock and I was curious if I should propagate them to their own spot on the rock or keep the colony together. Any opinions from the wisened reefers hanging out here?

20230506_122221.jpg
20230506_122019.jpg

World Wide Corals

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it gets bigger, many heads will die off as new heads grow. Leave it be. Only thing you need to really watch, if the green connecting tissue between the heads doesn't start to recede. That tissue is what connects each head to the other, and the way they share nutrients.

Mine is about the size of a soccer ball now, I have just as many dead heads at the bottom, as I have new heads growing at the top.

codenfx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it gets bigger, many heads will die off as new heads grow. Leave it be. Only thing you need to really watch, if the green connecting tissue between the heads doesn't start to recede. That tissue is what connects each head to the other, and the way they share nutrients.

Mine is about the size of a soccer ball now, I have just as many dead heads at the bottom, as I have new heads growing at the top.
Mine is going through this, I had no idea the heads will die off like that, it lost about 4 big heads but there's new heads growing. Thought something wrong with my parameters.

OP
OP
eheldreth

eheldreth

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is going through this, I had no idea the heads will die off like that, it lost about 4 big heads but there's new heads growing. Thought something wrong with my parameters.

Agreed, thank's homer1475. I had no idea they would lose heads like that normally. I would have been worried.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back