+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*This was a Trumpet coral, not a Duncan; I’m stupid*

I was randomly checking in on the tank before calling it a night and noticed what I thought was my Trumpet coral spawning. It was releasing what looked like smoke, just like I have seen from snails dozens of times, but this time it was out of the mouth of a duncan. Any specific triggers for this? From what Ive gathered this only happens maybe a few times a year. First it was a chalice eating a Lepto frag and now this, things have been interesting as of late.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*This was a Trumpet coral, not a Duncan; I’m stupid*

I was randomly checking in on the tank before calling it a night and noticed what I thought was my Trumpet coral spawning. It was releasing what looked like smoke, just like I have seen from snails dozens of times, but this time it was out of the mouth of a duncan. Any specific triggers for this? From what Ive gathered this only happens maybe a few times a year. First it was a chalice eating a Lepto frag and now this, things have been interesting as of late.
I know for a lot of corals, lighting (both daytime and nighttime lighting) and temperature seem to be the main triggers. That said, there are a number of different triggers that may play a role (I'm not sure for trumpet corals specifically which ones would matter):

"The triggers for spawning involve a variety of environmental signals, including daylight hours, water temperature4,5, wind speed6, moonlight7, tides8,9 and hours after sunset10, with cues operating on increasingly fine temporal scales."*

If you know the triggers and can control them well enough, you may be able to get the corals spawning out of season.

*Source:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back