+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I currently run an Oase Biomaster canister filter and lily pipes on a UNS 20g long NPS build.

I hate hate hate the look of the power head in the tank, even though I've tried my best to hide it in the back. It doesn't produce enough flow around the tank where it's located.

But I'm curious if I could run a dual closed loop system with either two canisters or a closed loop return pump without the canister? Some research I've done suggests the answer is yes, but I want to know if both pumps need to be set to the same flow rate. I have a second canister that's smaller than the other one, and I'd like to try it, but only if it won't cause problems.

TIA!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow rate in independent closed systems should not have to be match, synchronization has zero impact between loops. Flow in = flow out, presumably the return will function to make circulation flow in the aquarium, x2.

macinf

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I currently run an Oase Biomaster canister filter and lily pipes on a UNS 20g long NPS build.

I hate hate hate the look of the power head in the tank, even though I've tried my best to hide it in the back. It doesn't produce enough flow around the tank where it's located.

But I'm curious if I could run a dual closed loop system with either two canisters or a closed loop return pump without the canister? Some research I've done suggests the answer is yes, but I want to know if both pumps need to be set to the same flow rate. I have a second canister that's smaller than the other one, and I'd like to try it, but only if it won't cause problems.

TIA!
I used to run a Rena Filstar with 3 media chambers and an Ehiem wet dry filter. Worked great for fish and live rock. Once I started putting in corals and such, I had to move to a sump with bio and chemical filtration.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back