Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New system (6 weeks old)
Dry rock, a few live rocks to seed the system
Inhabitants: clownfish pair

I had phosphates climb to 0.5. This seems like a normal problem to have starting with dry rock.

i dosed GFO at the recommended level in a bag in the sump. I noticed ph drop slightly.

Phosphate was reduced to 0.07 later that day
I was shocked at the effects of GFO and wanted to share that experience.

I pulled the GFO bag and performed a 20% water change.

Todays test’s looked good CBBA5A45-40C6-4F4F-9EFD-7CCF177EBE62.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
WestMI-Reefer

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to remeasure phosphate level tomorrow to see if you measure phosphate leaching from the dry rock?
Yes, GFO can drop levels very quickly.
I tested again and it dropped from 0.02 to 0.00 with no GFO. I fully expect the rock to continue to leaching phosphate. This can take months, right? Hopefully if I keep it in check with GFO now, the inevitable “ugly phase” will be much more manageable.
I have to be more careful not to let GFO bring levels to 0 again. I couldn’t believe how quick and effective it was, I’ll back off the dose if it’s needed again because it worked too well for me.

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested again and it dropped from 0.02 to 0.00 with no GFO. I fully expect the rock to continue to leaching phosphate. This can take months, right? Hopefully if I keep it in check with GFO now, the inevitable “ugly phase” will be much more manageable.
I have to be more careful not to let GFO bring levels to 0 again. I couldn’t believe how quick and effective it was, I’ll back off the dose if it’s needed again because it worked too well for me.
It may have worked too well if it remains at zero? You may need to feed heavy or add trace phosphate if it’s stuck at zero.

Always double check the numbers before changing directions! Hopefully the tank will be thriving going forward

OP
OP
WestMI-Reefer

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have worked too well if it remains at zero? You may need to feed heavy or add trace phosphate if it’s stuck at zero.

Always double check the numbers before changing directions! Hopefully the tank will be thriving going forward
I pulled the bag at 0.02 so maybe the skimmer thats still breaking in (no collection) got the rest? I realized I messed up 3 months ago when I ordered the Hl713 phosphate (ppm) which measures high range with +/-0.05 ppm tolerance. I just ordered the hanna phosphorus ULR Hl736 which measures low ranges with more precision. That will reveal if its truly bottomed out. Silly and unnecessarily expensive newcomer mistake lol

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the bag at 0.02 so maybe the skimmer thats still breaking in (no collection) got the rest? I realized I messed up 3 months ago when I ordered the Hl713 phosphate (ppm) which measures high range with +/-0.05 ppm tolerance. I just ordered the hanna phosphorus ULR Hl736 which measures low ranges with more precision. That will reveal if its truly bottomed out. Silly and unnecessarily expensive newcomer mistake lol
I don't believe a skimmer would lower dissolved minerals, but the error margin between the two meters is definitely a factor here, ime. I had the old meter before i got the ULR. I got that before they came out with the ULR that reports in ppm, so I always have to figure out what the ppb translates into. :)

I've had better luck with that meter since I've started using a 10mm syringe to collect the sample and store the cuvette in RODI between uses. Lots of tricks to be learned here on Reef2Reef! Sadly, I keep repeating some mistakes, part of getting old I guess.
Sad Happy Birthday GIF by Aaron Taos

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back